Tiramisu Con Ciliege/Cherry Tiramisu
Italian chef Gino D’Acampo recently returned to his home country to carry out research for his new book, ‘Gino’s Italian Escape’, and film the accompanying forthcoming TV series. Here is just one of his new dishes.
400g cherries, pitted and halved
50g caster sugar
4tbsp cherry or amaretto liqueur
8 small madeleine cakes or sponge finger biscuits
2tbsp chopped toasted nuts
For the mascarpone cream:
2 egg yolks
2tbsp caster sugar
250g mascarpone cheese
2tbsp cherry or amaretto liqueur
1. Heat the cherries, sugar and two tablespoons of the liqueur in a saucepan until the sugar has dissolved, the cherries are slightly softened and their skins start to burst.
2. Set aside to cool.
3. For the mascarpone cream, whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until pale.
4. Beat in the mascarpone cheese and two tablespoons of the liqueur.
5. Place a layer of cake in the bottom of four individual glasses.
6. Spoon over a little of the remaining liqueur, then add a layer of the cooked cherries and their juices.
7. Top with a layer of the mascarpone cream.
8. Repeat the layering until you are nearly at the top of the glass, finishing with the cream.
9. Sprinkle the top with chopped nuts and chill for two hours before serving.
Gino’s Italian Escape is priced £20 and is available now.