A family party was held in Tutties Neuk on Thursday to mark the 100th birthday of Mrs Agnes Dewar, Gowan Park, Arbroath.
Earlier in the day, Mrs Dewar was visited by Andrew Welsh, Depute Lieutenant, who brought congratulations from Her Majesty the Queen; Provost Helen Oswald, representing Angus Council, and the Rev. Nelu Balaj, minister of Knox’s Church.
Although born in Edinburgh, Mrs Dewar, nee Crichton, moved north to Arbroath with her family when she was just five years of age. She attended Inverbrothock Public School and Arbroath High School, leaving at the age of 14 to take up a job.
This was as a shop assistant with Laird, fruiterers, in High Street, where she started in 1922. She later moved to the millinery shop of James Chapman, in Market Place. The business was taken over by Alice Emslie, but Mrs Dewar stayed on and flitted with the owner to new premises at the top of High Street.
Unfortunately, Miss Emslie died and Mrs Dewar had to sell off the stock and close the business.
In 1939 she married engineer Bill Dewar at Whitewells, Marywell. The couple had one daughter, Rosemary, who lives in the town. There are three grand-daughters and five great grandchildren.
Mr Dewar sadly died in 1987.
In the 1960s Mrs Dewar returned to work as a cleaner at Gowanlea old folks’ home. She finally retired in the early 1970s.
Both she and her husband were members of Knox’s Church and Mrs Dewar was active in the Woman’s Guild. Her husband was an elder.