A BROUGHTY Ferry bridge, which happens to be the oldest ironwork bridge in Scotland, will be fully refurbished next month.
The dilapidated Linlathen East Bridge, which stands over the Dighty Burn, was dismantled in May in order for refurbishment work to be carried out.
The project aims to restore the ironwork bridge to the same condition it was in when it was built in 1796.
An inspection in April 2010 by the Buildings at Risk Register for Scotland described the condition of the bridge as “extremely corroded” and the general condition of the bridge as “very poor”.
Dundee firm Building & Land Services were contracted to refurbish the bridge. The majority of work was carried out off site by a team of 12 to 14 craftsmen who included experienced stonemasons and blacksmiths who would remain faithful to the original bridge.
This will include like for like replacements of all damaged materials, going so far as to use traditional ironmongery instead of the more modern stainless steel.
Historic Scotland provided a grant of £50,000 while the balance of £380,000 was donated by Miller Homes as part of conditions governing the Ferryfields housing development.