The 10th anniversary of an international heritage golf competition will be played for the first time on an Open course when it comes to Carnoustie this year.
The World Hickory Open will be played over Carnoustie’s three courses from October 19 to 23 and will attract over 100 golfers from a dozen countries.
World Hickory Open Championship chairman Lionel Freedman is excited at the prospect of bringing the competition to a prestigious course like Carnoustie.
He said: “It’s the 10th anniversary and it’s the first time the championship has ever been played on a current Open course. It’s pretty big and exciting.
“It’s special here. It smells of history. If you are into golf most people want to play up here.”
The competition is played over the Burnside, Championship and Links courses over the week.
There is an international team match, an individual contest split by handicap and there also a triangular match between the US players, Sweden and a WHO select.
During the competition the players will also enjoy a gala dinner and prize-giving reception at the Carnoustie Golf Hotel and a team dinner at the Old Boatyard in Arbroath.
Last year’s competition at Panmure Golf Club was won by top Scottish golfer Sandy Lyle.
Mr Freedman is delighted with how the contest has evolved from its humble beginnings in Musselburgh in 2005.
He said: “We are excited because for the very first time we have a Japanese team playing.
“We’ve never had a Far Eastern team before and we are also hoping that Sandy Lyle will come back and defend his title.
“We hope to have between 120 and 140 people playing.”
For more information on the World Hickory Open and the 2015 competition at Carnoustie, including entry forms, visit www.worldhickoryopen.com