Local man’s death being treated as ‘suspicious’

editorial image

THE NORMALLY quiet residential peace of historic golf town Carnoustie was interrupted at the weekend when the body of a man was discovered by police.

On Sunday morning at around 8.10 a.m. police and paramedics were called to an address in Kinloch Street where they discovered the man.

He was formally identified on Tuesday as Samuel Anthony English (59), more commonly known as Tony, a well-known face about the town.

The circumstances of Mr English’s death were deemed to be suspicious and a crime scene was quickly established, encompassing his home and the neighbouring area.

A section of Kinloch Street between the corner of Brown Street and just short of Panmure Street was cordoned off while scene of crime investigators went to work.

There were reports of around a dozen police vehicles at the scene, but by mid-morning only two police cars, a van and the incident command vehicle, along with a few officers could be seen from outside the cordon.

One neighbour described the scene: “Looking out in the morning there were a lot of police cars.

“We know nothing more than the next person, but there has been a lot of activity, but apart from that nothing.”

According to a police press release on Sunday afternoon two unidentified people were helping with their enquiries, but were later released.

As the situation unfolded neighbours were asked to stay indoors while police continued their investigation and conducted door-to-door interviews.

Detective Inspector Ian Welsh who is leading the investigation made the following statement: “We want to piece together Mr English’s movements on Saturday night and into Sunday morning to fully establish where he was and who he was with.

“He was a well-recognised face in the town and we want to speak to anyone who saw him in the hours before his death.

“If anyone remembers seeing Mr English at the weekend whether in town or at his home address, alone or with others, they should call us as that information could assist the enquiry.

“Equally, if anyone was in the Kinloch Street area and saw or heard anything suspicious late on Saturday into the early hours of Sunday we would ask them to get in touch.

“Anyone who can assist should call 0300 111 2222, or speak to any officer.”

Mr English was originally from Lisburn, County Antrim in Northern Ireland, and had lived in Carnoustie for around 30 years.

He had worked offshore for many years and had risen to the position of driller, and had also worked as a caddy at one point.

An acquaintance of Mr English described him as a well-known and pleasant man.

He said: “He was always polite and good to me. He always said hello. I saw him a few days ago and he said hello then.

“He had a good job as a driller offshore and to get to that stage he had to a be a good worker and reliable.”

Few details regarding the circumstances of Mr English’s death were released by the police.

A post-mortem examination was carried out on Tuesday to determine the cause of death and whether the investigation should be upgraded from a suspicious death to a murder.

The cause of death is understood to be a single wound, but at the time of going to press no further details had been released and the incident was still classed as a suspicious death.

The investigation continues into the full set of circumstances surrounding the death of Mr English and members of the public are also reminded that they can contact the charity Crimestoppers and pass on information anonymously using the number 0800 555 111.