Man charged over suspicious death

editorial image

THE INVESTIGATION into a suspicious death in Carnoustie made progress this week when charges were pressed.

Tayside Police confirmed on Tuesday that a 44-year-old male had been charged in connection with the death of Carnoustie man Tony English (59).

The police were able to confirm the man had been arrested on Tuesday morning, subsequently charged and a report had been submitted to the Procurator Fiscal.

The body of Mr English was found in the early hours of Sunday, December 11, at his home address in Kinloch Street, Carnoustie.

At around 8.10 in the morning police and paramedics attended the address and immediately cordoned the area off for investigation.

There were reports of around a dozen police vehicles at the scene, but by mid-morning only two police cars, a van and the incident command vehicle, along with a few officers could be seen from outside the cordon.

As the situation unfolded neighbours were asked to stay indoors while police continued their investigation and conducted door-to-door interviews.

According to a police press release, on the Sunday afternoon two unidentified people were helping police with their enquiries, but were later released.

A post-mortem examination was carried out on the following Tuesday to determine the cause of death and whether the investigation should be upgraded from a suspicious death to a murder.

The cause of death is understood to be a single wound, but at the time of going to press no further details had been released and the incident was still classed as a suspicious death.

Mr English was originally from Lisburn, County Antrim in Northern Ireland, and had lived in Carnoustie for around 30 years.

He had worked offshore for many years and had risen to the position of driller, and had also worked as a caddy in Carnoustie at one point.

Tayside Police have been investigating Mr English’s death for just over 10 weeks and officers and police cars have been a common sight in the that part of Carnoustie.

At the time of going to press the man who had been arrested had not been formally identified and had yet to appear in court in relation to this matter.

Right: Tony English.