Mystery continues to surround suspicious Carnoustie death

PC Lewis Baird Interviews a member of the public.
PC Lewis Baird Interviews a member of the public.

TAYSIDE Police continue to search for clues as the hunt for the truth behind the death of a Carnoustie man drags on into its fifth week.

Tony English (59) was found dead at his home address in Kinloch Street on Sunday, December 11, at around 8 a.m. following a call-out to police and paramedics.

The area was immediately sealed off, and armed police and scene of crime investigators attended the locus.

Despite a large-scale door-to-door operation encompassing over 160 addresses, a leaflet drop and a dedicated team of officers working on the case, Mr English’s death remains unsolved.

On Saturday evening, Tayside Police conducted a street briefing outside the Spar shop on Barry Road at 7 p.m.

Officers spent around an hour talking to members of the public in the hope of uncovering more clues, and were also available to discuss any concerns and issues, as well, as offering advice and reassurance to people.

A leaflet drop was also carried out in the town to highlight the briefing and encourage people to come forward.

Officers hoped that members of the public might be privy to knowledge that they might have dismissed as unimportant.

A spokesperson for Tayside Police said: “The meeting was positive, and a couple of people provided new information to assist in the inquiry and these are being followed up.”

Mr English was a well-known figure in Carnoustie having lived in the town for the last 30 years.

He was originally from Lisburn in County Antrim and his extended family still live in the Northern Irish town.

He had previously worked as an oil-rigger for an Aberdeen based oil company and had also at one point caddied on the Carnoustie golf courses.

It is understood that the post-mortem examination revealed the cause of death to be a single stab wound to the forearm, but Tayside Police were unable to confirm this.

Two individuals who were originally detained by Tayside Police to help with their inquiries were subsequently released.

A thorough forensic examination has been conducted at the Kinloch Street address, and the property has since been boarded up, with the Tayside Police command unit and patrol car being withdrawn.

Tayside Police are continuing to treat the death as suspicious and enquiries are still continuing.

Anyone who has information that could assist the police investigation should call 0300 111 2222, or speak to any officer.

Alternatively, information can be passed anonymously via the charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.