A CARNOUSTIE couple recently celebrated their golden wedding anniversary with a party in the Royal British Legion Scotland clubrooms.
Clark and Fiona Findlay, 16 Links Avenue, were married in Carnoustie Old Parish Church on March 25, 1961, by the Rev. Archibald McKenzie. As with so many other young couples in those days, they had got together at the dancing in the Beach Hall.
Mr Findlay was born in Forfar and moved to Carnoustie when he was 10 years of age. He attended Carnoustie School which he left at 15 to take up a job in the foundry of Anderson-Grice, crane manufacturers.
In 1957 he was called up for National Service and, after training, served with the Royal Artillery in Germany for two years.
On his return to the UK he joined the staff of J.F. Low, Monifieth, as a labourer, then moved to the North of Scotland Hydro Electric Board in 1963 when he got a job in Carolina Port Power Station in Dundee.
When the power station closed he moved to Arbroath and was latterly a sub-station inspector before his retirement in 1995.
Mrs Findlay is a native of Carnoustie and also attended Carnoustie School, where her future husband was in her class. On leaving school she worked in a shop then had a spell with Saxone making children’s sandals, before taking up a job in Grant’s Jute Factory.
Once her children were at school she went back to work as a shop assistant with McDermott, jeweller, High Street, before moving to Henderson’s jewellers, in Dundee.
She then took up a post with Mackay’s Jam Factory in Thistle Street and worked there until she retired in 2002.
The couple have three sons, Alan (49), Neil (47) and Paul (45) all of whom live in Carnoustie. There are four grandchildren.
Mrs Findlay continues to attend Carnoustie Church and her main leisure pursuit is bowling. She is a member of Carnoustie West End Bowling Club.
Mr Findlay enjoys reading.