Keep warm and safe this winter

WITH THE cold weather really starting to set in Angus Community Safety Partnership is highlighting the dangers of faulty electric blankets.

The partnership is to hold safety days during the next three weeks focusing on electric blanket safety and if they are found to be faulty, they can be exchanged for a voucher to help replace it with a new one.

This activity has been sponsored by the Electrical Safety Council’s (ESC) fire safety fund which supports electrical fire prevention schemes at local level that aim to effectively tackles the causes of electrically related fires. 

Appliance testers will be available at each event and there will also be information and advice on home and fire safety, home security, consumer affairs and health and wellbeing.

Angus Councillor Lynne Devine attended the launch event in Forfar yesterday (Thursday).

She said: “Faulty domestic appliances and faulty house wiring are responsible for many accidents and fires in the home.

“We are having these safety days to raise awareness of the dangers of electricity and faulty electrical appliances, particularly electric blankets.

“I urge people to come along to the safety events and have their electric blankets checked before the cold weather sets in.”

Judith Leslie of Angus Care and Repair, which is also involved with the events said: “We are particularly targeting electric blankets, where a person is in close proximity to electricity for a prolonged period.

“It is imperative that an electric blanket is safe and we will test any electric blanket brought to us on the day.”

She added: “Anyone unable to attend the sessions for reasons of mobility or health should contact Angus Care and Repair to arrange a home safety visit on 01307 463232 and mention that it is in relation to the electric blanket testing.”

Meanwhile Lorraine Carney, senior campaigns manager at the ESC explained: “Our primary objective is to help people stay safe around electricity and, sadly, fires caused by faulty electric blankets are not uncommon.

“We are particularly keen to assist vulnerable people, such as the elderly, who may be reliant on electric blankets to keep them warm in the winter - so we are delighted to support Angus Community Safety Partnership and their initiative in this area.”​

For further safety advice on electric blankets go to the ESC’s website or telephone the consumer helpline on 0203 463 5100.

The Arbroath safety day takes place on Wednesday, October 24, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the fire station at Ponderlaw Street. The roadshow then moves to Monifieth on Friday, October 26, in the fire station on North Balmossie Street between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.

The fire station in Kinloch Street will host the Carnoustie day on Wednesday, November 1, between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.