Man who threatened to throw faeces at police jailed

editorial image

A man who broke into a house in Montrose and threatened to throw his own faeces at police officers after taking a cocktail of drugs has been jailed for nine months.

Dale Smith (31) had been partying in Montrose and taken a concoction of legal highs, steroids and valium when he broke into a household unknown to him on December 16 last year.

After being thrown out by the occupant, Smith then stole a bracelet and pen from the Buth Tabhartas shop on Montrose High Street.

He was then picked up by police after there was public concern regarding his actions. After a strip search at Arbroath Police Station, he was rushed to Ninewells Hospital in Dundee as officers believed he had taken tablets thought to be drugs.

While under heavy restraint at A&E, the accused urinated on himself and tried to bite police officers and a member of the public.

He was then taken to police headquarters in Dundee where en-route Smith defecated and smeared his own excrement on the inside of the police van and threatened to throw handfuls of faeces at any police officer who opened the door.

Smith pleaded guilty when he appeared at Forfar Sheriff Court yesterday (Thursday) in front of Sheriff Gregor Murray. .

Depute Fiscal Jill Drummond told the court Smith entered a property in Queens Street, Montrose, waking the occupant who was asleep upstairs. The man chased Smith out of the house.

She said: “The witness shouted at the accused to get out of his house, which he did.

“He said ‘I tried other doors, I am just looking for food’.”

He was then “lurking” in Montrose town centre before police arrested him.

The accused was taken to Ninewells in handcuffs and leg restraints.

The court heard Smith, while under heavy restraint in A&E, “urinated on purpose on himself and the bed, in full public view”.

He tried to bite three police officers and was again restrained.

He also spat at a constable, so was placed in a spit mask.

After being given the all-clear from Ninewells, he was taken in a police van to West Bell Street in Dundee. While in transit, he relieved himself in the police van, smeared the excrement all over the vehicle’s walls and threatened to throw the faeces at any police officer who opened the cage door.

He was represented by Nick Markowski, who told the court Smith, of no fixed abode, had moved to Scotland from England to “break the cycle of offending”.

Mr Markowski said the accused had “no memory” of what happened but had been at a party in Brechin that had then moved on to Montrose.

The solicitor said: “He entered the house because he thought the man was selling something.

“The man whose house he broke into clearly wasn’t a shrinking violet.

“It’s conceded that he will receive a custodial sentence.

“He can only apologise to the officers and other persons involved.”

Mr Markowski said Smith believed he took valium, legal highs, as well as some steroids.

Sheriff Murray sentenced the accused to nine months in jail.

The sheriff told Smith: “You are extraordinarily fortune that this case was brought on summary proceedings.

“In total the most I can give you is 12 months’ imprisonment, which will be discounted to nine based on your early plea.”

The sentence was backdated to December 16 when he was taken into custody.