Pool users urged to take care

editorial image

As we went to press yesterday (Thursday) Arbroath swimming pool was still closed to the public following an outbreak of cryptosporidium.

The pool has been closed twice in recent weeks following discovery of the bacteria which causes vomiting and diarrhoea.

It is understood that the pool will remain closed today (Friday) and over the weekend with regular pool users to be informed about the situation of classes and training sessions as necessary.

In the most recent incident the pool has been closed since last Tuesday.

It is understood to have caused local swimming clubs some difficulties as training sessions have had to be relocated to other pools throughout Angus and Dundee.

Angus Council in turn have issued a plea to swimming pool users to take extra care when using the facilities and to stay away if feeling unwell.

A statement from the authority advised: “Some simple pool hygiene, such as using the showers and toilets before entering the pool, can help keep you and other pool users healthy in and out of the water.

“If you have had diarrhoea, you must not use a pool for at least 14 days after the symptoms have cleared, to prevent the spread of infection to other pool users.

“Cryptosporidium is spread through contact with infected food, water and animals, including person-to-person spread. Outbreaks are commonly reported in association with animals and/or with private water supplies.

“The crypto bug can cause diarrhoea, vomiting, stomach cramps and a slight fever. Most cases are mild and improve without specific treatment. However, cryptosporidium infection can produce a severe illness in those whose immune systems are compromised.”