Work starts at Kinloch site

A time capsule is being buried in the ground of the old Kinloch Primary School by Burnside and Woodlands primary schools. Our picture shows pupils from the two schools with councillors, social work members and construction representatives.

A time capsule is being buried in the ground of the old Kinloch Primary School by Burnside and Woodlands primary schools. Our picture shows pupils from the two schools with councillors, social work members and construction representatives.

0
Have your say

A SYMBOLIC turf cutting ceremony on Thursday marked the official start of work on the Kinloch site in Carnoustie.

Angus Council is to create a new £9 million care home and supported housing project on the site, which is hoped will transform housing and care services for older people in the area.

It is thought that the care home will be completed in early 2013 and will include a high dependency residential care unit, a respite care unit, a day care centre and office accommodation.

There will also be 25 two-bedroom and three one-bedroom houses with tenancies for older people with some linked to the care home itself.

Performing the turf cutting ceremony were Depute Provost Peter Murphy and Angus Council chief executive David Sawers.

They were joined by local children from Woodlands and Burnside Primary schools who buried a time capsule.

The Depute Provost said: “This is a red letter day for Angus as we take this very significant and visionary step forward. The town centre development will provide accommodation and facilities specifically tailored to the needs of older people, placing them firmly in the heart of the community.

“Ten new council houses for families are also being built and with the community’s plans for a civic centre on the site, the completed development will revitalise and invigorate the centre of Carnoustie.

“The Carnoustie development offers a new model for the delivery of older people’s services, which focuses on supporting their independence.

“In addition to the 28 supported houses for older people, I am pleased that we will have 10 new semi-detached family homes available for rent by November of this year.

“The building of this much needed accommodation - eight four-bedroomed and two three-bedroomed homes - forms part of the council’s plans to build 100 council houses throughout Angus at an estimated cost of over £12 million.”

Fellow Carnoustie councillor Brian Boyd also hailed the project and said it would be a great achievement for the town.

He explained: “I enjoyed attending my first social work committee meeting last week and was thrilled to see the new development for the care village for our town.

“There was a fantastic one minute video of the entire concept that really highlights the advantages of this great achievement for Carnoustie and I have asked for a copy to share this with the community.

“I shall hopefully post it on Youtube, the Guide and Gazette website, Facebook and ourcarnoustie.

“After this my attentions move to supporting the Civic Centre plans which are part of the site.

“I am looking forward to hearing their news and to offer any assistance I can.”

Mansell Construction Services Ltd., Perth has been awarded the tender for construction of the new care centre and supported housing facilities at a cost of £6.7 million.

Other associated works including land acquisition and demolition costs, IT equipment, professional fees and equipment and furniture raise the costs to £9 million.

Angus Council has created a dedicated page on their website to the Kinloch project and a ‘fly through’ video showing how the site will look once finished can be viewed on http://www.angus.gov.uk/kinlochdevelopment/walkthrough.htm.