10-man Gowfers’ narrow loss at Bo’ness

Ian Nimmo of Bo'ness United  against Carnoustie Panmure at Newton Park on 31/01/15.
Ian Nimmo of Bo'ness United against Carnoustie Panmure at Newton Park on 31/01/15.

Bo’ness United 1, Carnoustie Panmure 0

Carnoustie Panmure were scheduled to play host to Sauchie Juniors in the McBookie.com East Super League on Saturday.

But several frosts during the week had made the Laing Park pitch bone hard and despite a slightly milder Friday night, the surface was declared unplayable following an 8.30 a.m. referee’s inspection and the match was postponed.

The same fate befell the Scottish Cup tie between Hurlford United and Bo’ness United and as provisionally agreed the previous day that should such a scenario arise, Carnoustie would meet Bo’ness in a league match and so it was that Alan McSkimming’s men found themselves heading for Newtown Park.

Because of the late change of venue, Alan found himself without several players unable to travel due to work commitments and in this category fell John Roberts, Chris MacPherson and Gary Kenneth, while Steven Cook, Kevin Cumming and Liam Scott are all still carrying injuries. On the plus side, however, new signing Luke McGeehan was available and was on from the start.

Only two substitutes were available, Sam Simpson and Greg Birmingham.

After a fairly even opening spell, the first half-chance of the match fell to Bo’ness in eight minutes. Anderson was sent clear on the right by Nimmo and picked out Donnelly, who headed wide of Ferrie’s left-hand post from 12 yards.

Carnoustie began to come more into the game and almost broke the deadlock in 18 minutes when a poor clearance by home ‘keeper Wallace was blocked by Smith and rebounded narrowly over the bar.

Two minutes later, Donnelly took a pass from Philp and drilled in a low shot, but Ferrie got down well to make a great save.

In 34 minutes, Anderson took the ball down the left and picked out Donnelly with a great cross, but he again headed wide.

Bo’ness were forced to make a change in 39 minutes when ‘keeper Wallace had to go off with a hamstring injury and was replaced between the posts by Baillie.

On the stroke of half-time, Ferrie brought off a great save from a Gribben shot to keep his charge intact.

Half-time: Bo’ness United 0, Carnoustie Panmure 0.

On the restart, Bo’ness were again first to show and should have gone ahead when a Donnelly cross found Anderson, but he scooped the ball over the bar from close-in when it looked easier to score.

In 50 minutes, Carnoustie came close to opening their account when a cross by Bews picked out Buggins, who powered in a header only to see the ball cleared off the line by Nimmo.

Six minutes later, the Gowfers were dealt a blow when Bews was shown a second yellow for a late challenge on Sloan and they were down to 10.

Bo’ness continued to press and finally broke the deadlock in 65 minutes. Snowdon linked with Anderson, who advanced almost to the bye-line before cutting the ball back to PHILP, who swept it home from close-in.

Moments later, Cowan thought he had added a second, but he was ruled offside and the ‘goal’ was disallowed.

In 73 minutes, Carnoustie made their first change with Simpson going on for McIlravey.

Next minute, United had a chance to kill the game off after Cowan clashed with Black and went down in the box. The referee consulted with his assistant and then pointed to the spot. Snowdon took the kick, but blasted the ball high over the bar.

Three minutes later, the Gowfers made their second change with Birmingham going on to replace Smith.

As the watch clicked over into stoppage time, Carnoustie came close to earning what would have been a well-deserved draw when Black fired in a fierce drive, but Baillie got down well to make the save.

Moments later, the referee blew for full-time and the Gowfers had suffered another narrow defeat, not helped by that sudden last minute change of venue.

Bo’ness United - Wallace, Snowdon, Devine, Murphy, Hunter, Nimmo, Donnelly, Philp, Anderson, Sloan, Gribben. Substitutes - Campbell, Cowan, Gibb, A. Scott, Baillie (gk).

Carnoustie Panmure - Ferrie, Neath, Buggins, Millar, Robertson, McGeehan, McIlravey, Black, Bews, Smith, M. Scott. Substitutes - Simpson, Birmingham.

Tomorrow’s Match

Tomorrow (Saturday), weather permitting Carnoustie will be back on home soil throwing out the welcome mat to Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic for a match in the McBookie.com East Super League.

On their last three visits to Laing Park, the Lothians outfit returned home with all three points, but last Saturday they suffered a 4-1 defeat away to Musselburgh Athletic and indeed so far this season have not been quite as strong as they normally are, so perhaps tomorrow the Gowfers will be able to take something from the game. To do so, however, they will have to be at their very best, but should be better placed personnel wise than they were last week.

Kick-off will be at the slightly later time of 2 p.m.