ACSC’s title hopes are ended after defeat

editorial image


ACSC took on Broughty Athletic last Saturday in another important George Buckman Premier League fixture.

ACSC knew prior to the game that a win would take them back to the top of the league with St. James playing Barnhill in the Ferrari’s Shield.

Manager Longmuir had to make a few changes to personnel once again due to work commitments. Reid came in to replace Cargill in the goal who was on holiday in Las Vegas,

Graham came in at centre-half for Powrie and Scott replaced ‘The Hoof’ up top.

It didn’t start well for the ACSC as Broughty seized the initiative, winning most of the early exchanges in the midfield area and appeared somehow to be the team that was the hungrier of the two.

Considering what was at stake for the ACSC, it was hard to believe. Although Broughty were having the lion’s share of possession and winning the early exchanges, they weren’t causing the ACSC many problems at the back and Reid in the goal had little to do.

On the 20-minute mark, Broughty went in front with a somewhat fortuitous and speculative effort.

After giving away possession cheaply the Broughty wide man put in a speculative cross and the striker tried to control the ball, missed it completely and the ball evaded everyone to end up in the back of the net.

ACSC responded in the fashion that the supporters have been accustomed to and from a pre-prepared corner Graham headed the ball into back of the net with a well-directed back-post effort to get the ACSC back on level terms.

However, the ACSC were to find themselves behind again 10 minutes later when a speculative ball through wasn’t dealt with by the ACSC defence and the striker received the benefit of a ricochet, the ball eventually breaking to him on the 18-yard line where he then poked the ball in beyond Reid, who was unlucky not to save the effort.

Half-time: Broughty Athletic 2, ACSC 1.

After stern words from Longmuir at half-time ACSC seemed to finally waken up to the fact that if they lost this game any hopes of the title would be effectively lost.

The second half was one way traffic. ACSC pounded the Broughty goal and set up camp in Broughty’s half, but Broughty to their credit were well organised and were dealing well with the intense pressure on their goal.

ACSC made several good chances, Gillespie firing over from 18 yards, Gersok missing a great chance with a header from a corner, Gatrick sending it close from a corner with a header, but ACSC were just unable to find the breakthrough that they so badly needed. In fact, it was Broughty, with their only chance of the half, who came closest after ACSC had pushed most players up leaving them short at the back and they hit the post from a good angled drive. The referee signalled the end of the game not long after with the ACSC unable to get the goal or goals that they needed.

Full-time: Broughty Athletic 2, ACSC 1.

The proverbial game of two halfs. ACSC never showed up in the first period and paid the penalty. The second half was one-way traffic but credit must go to Broughty, who defended resolutely during that period. Unfortunately for the ACSC, this effectively ends their title hopes.

It was disappointing, however, the ACSC players must look to next week and try to finish the season on a high and that means nine points from their three remaining games. Onwards and upwards.