And now for the GA Cup final!

Arniston Rangers 0,

Broughty Athletic 0

IT MAY have ended as a no-score draw, but Saturday’s final league encounter for Broughty Athletic was anything but dull - and for all the right reasons.

Broughty travelled across the Forth for the second time in a week to face Arniston Rangers at Newbyres Park.

The early exchanges were relatively even with both sides seeing plenty of the ball without ever troubling the keepers. Good work involving Winter and Dailly in the 15th minute saw a dangerous ball played into the box, but there were no takers.

A big, powerful Arniston team created their first chance in the 20th minute when Cennerazzo broke free on the left but his shot was just wide of target.

Arniston were a danger from set pieces and with five minutes of the half left ex-Rangers favourite Scott Nisbet saw a header from a corner well saved by Cormack in the Broughty goal.

The last chance of the half fell the Fed’s way when Farquharson was unlucky with a snap-shot which went just over Weir’s bar.

Half-time: Arniston Rangers 0, Broughty Athletic 0.

Broughty resumed brightly and created an early chance when Dailly shot, but it was saved by Arniston’s Weir.

The home side was putting the Fed under pressure and not giving the visitors a minute on the ball; none more so than striker Forster who was working hard against the Broughty back four.

Many times Broughty got into good shooting areas, only to be crowded out by an organised Arniston defence.

Laird burst through in the 71st minute, only to be denied by a fantastic tackle from Bertie.

It was end-to-end stuff with both sides knowing that the first goal would be crucial.

Winter picked up the ball from outside the box before playing a one-two with Dailly but the former’s shot was blocked by Rangers centre half Opilka.

Allan had a great chance for the Fed when he found space, but his attempted lob fell straight into the hands of the relieved Weir.

Nisbett then had a fine strike from distance well saved by Cormack.

The move of the game came when, after some neat football, Dailly found himself free on the right. He cut in before delivering the ball into the box which was met by Winter, who directed his volley goalwards but Weir again made a fine save.

The dangerous Cennorazzo burst clear on the left although thankfully for Broughty he lost control and the ball was gathered by Cormack.

The referee brought an end to an entertaining ninety minutes during which both sides failed to break down the other’s defence and a share of the points was a fair result.

Tomorrow’s final

Broughty have a huge game tomorrow (Saturday), when they play Dundee North End in the final of the GA Engineering Cup.

The game will be played at Downfield Park, Balgowan Avenue, Dundee, with a 3 p.m. kick-off.