Bo’ness take win as former league champs get two goals late in day

For Carnoustie’s visit to Bo’ness, Alan McSkimming kept the changes to a minimum with only young centre-half Roche coming in for Danny Millar who was unavailable for selection.

In a frantic start to the game, the home side nearly took the lead after five minutes when a short corner was played in and headed just wide of the mark.

From the kick-out it was Carnoustie’s turn to attack when Buggins played a long ball to Gray, whose looping shot was saved by the Bo’ness keeper.

A couple of minutes later it was Bo’ness who were again on the attack when a crossed ball was headed a whisker wide, much to the home fan’s dismay.

With 10 minutes on the clock Simpson played a superb ball through to Scott Gray who slotted home to take the Gowfers into an early lead.

They almost made it 2-0 when Roberts tackled well in midfield and played the ball into the path of McCabe who went through one-on-one with the keeper, but his shot went narrowly wide.

The Gowfers continued their opening pressure and in 14 minutes Gray was fouled on the edge of the box.

McCabe laid the ball off for Roche who hammered the ball towards the goal, but the shot was deflected wide for a corner.

Simpson played the ball into the box where it was only half cleared, but the header back across the goal was to an offside Cook.

Shortly after, Simpson tried a cross-field pass to Scott, but it was cut out and put behind for a corner.

It was taken by Simpson again but it was cleared and Roberts was booked for illegally stopping the Bo’ness counter attack.

Bo’ness continued to search for the equaliser and in 31 minutes they won a free-kick about 15 yards outside the box, but the shot was fired into the wall and cleared.

Five minutes before half-time McCabe was fouled near the Bo’ness box and he took the free-kick himself, but it was cleared only as far as Roberts who hit his long shot over the bar.

From the start of the second half, the home side pressed for the equaliser but the Panmure backline and Macpherson in the goal stood strong.

The game continued to ebb and flow between the two sides until Buggins was involved in a nasty clash of heads in the Panmure box.

After some treatment on the pitch it was deemed he could no longer continue, due to possible concussion, and he was replaced by Gersok.

The long stoppage in play for the injury saw a change in the flow of the game and Bo’ness came into it more.

Ten minutes from time a Bo’ness corner was deflected behind for another corner and this one was cleared, but Panmure were slow to pick-up their men and as the ball was played back in, Donald Morrison rose to head home the equaliser.

Bo’ness continued to push on for the winner and their persistence paid off in 92 minutes when Donnelly played the ball wide to Robert Sloan and the substitute crossed the ball to Ross Campbell who shot home from around 12 yards to clinch the three points.

Deep into stoppage time Carnoustie had a solid penalty appeal turned down when McIlravey drove into the box and fell after a nudge, but the referee waved away the appeals and shortly after blew for full time

Carnoustie Panmure: Macpherson, Cook, Macdonald, Roche, Buggins (Gersok), Roberts, Simpson (McIlravey), Black, McCabe, Gray (Smith), Scott. Substitute not used: Cormack (GK).

Tomorrow’s Match is at home to St Andrews United in the East Superleague with a 2.30 p.m. kick-off.

The Gowfers and United have both started the season in fine form and sit on nine points from five games so far, so a cracking encounter is to be expected by the two Tayside clubs.