Broughty advance in GA Engineering Cup

BROUGHTY took a break from league action on Saturday when they travelled the short distance to Beechwood Park to face Lochee Harp in the first round of the GA Engineering Cup.

Both sides contained players with connections with the other club. Four with Fed connections lined up for Harp: Darren Brown, James Mullen, Davie Taylor and Blaine McAuley. Five former Harp players, Alan Cormack, Graeme Dailly, Birdie Craik, Iain MacLeod and Graham Allan were all involved for the Ferrymen.

Broughty were on top from the start and had a great chance in the fifth minute when Allan burst clear but he dragged his effort wide from a good position.

Next up for the Fed was Dailly, minutes later, but again he shot wide of ‘keeper Brown’s goal from an excellent position.

However, it was the home side which took the lead with their first real break upfield. GOODALL received a throw-in on the right in 25 minutes, took a touch and fired a contender for goal of the season high into Cormack’s net from all of 35 yards out.

Broughty responded to the setback well, though, and pushed forward immediately in search of the equaliser. After a period of sustained pressure in the Harp half referee Crawford awarded a penalty kick to the visitors in the 30th minute when Brown brought down Allan inside the area. DAILLY made no mistake with the spot kick.

The Fed were playing some neat passing football and it came as no surprise when they went into the lead in the ten minutes before the break when BURNS glanced home a free kick into the corner of the net.

Half-time: Lochee Harp 1, Broughty Athletic 2.

Broughty continued in the second half as they had left off in the first and had their first opportunity within the five minutes when Brown denied Craik after a good move on the right.

The visitors didn’t have long to wait, however, and DAILLY scored his second of the afternoon when he fired home from eight yards after good play on the right wing from Kadela.

The visitors were playing a lot of the game inside the Harp’s half and really should have had the tie finished as they created several decent chances but they were just wide of the target.

With nothing to lose, the home side pushed their big centre half Fotheringham forward as a target man and played a few high balls into the Broughty box looking to cause a threat. However, the Fed defence coped well with everything which was thrown at them.

In 75 minutes substitutes Carnegie and Torrance combined to carve out a chance but the former snatched at the shot and pulled it just wide of the target.

Lunan was next up when he ran on to a through ball but Brown was quick off his line to block and Torrance just failed with the rebound.

The last chance of the game fell to Dailly but his shot went wide before the referee blew for the final whistle which saw Broughty advance into the next round of the competition.

Manager’s comment

Manager Kenny Cameron, having guided his side to the last two finals of the GA Engineering Cup, was pleased to see his team progress in this season’s competition but was also happy about the manner of the victory.

“Beechwood Park is never an easy place to come to and win, but I thought we passed the ball well and created lots of chances throughout the course of the game,” he said.