Broughty complete the double at Canniepairt

FOR THE second time this season, Broughty Athletic recorded a 1-0 win at the Canniepairt on Saturday, this time collecting three valuable East Premier League points at Tayport’s expense.

And like the Fed’s success in the DJ Laing League Cup, the foundation of the victory was built on some stout defending

There was little goalmouth action in the first half, but any half-chances fell to Tayport. A long, raking Paul Tosh pass found Stefan Elvin, but he blazed his effort over the bar while Derek Wemyss could have done better with a back-post header following a Jamie Mackie cross.

Half-time: Tayport 0, Broughty Athletic 0.

‘Port were to the fore immediately after the break as well. Elvin had a shot deflected for a corner, Tosh fired wide and Mark Whatley tested ‘keeper Chris McPherson, after a driving run.

In 55 minutes, however, Broughty notched the only goal of the afternoon. Jamie Mackie conceded a free kick near the halfway line and giant defender Steven Tweed ambled forward. The main target for the delivery of the set-piece duly won his header and Graeme DAILLY nipped in to beat Iain Ross with a first-time finish.

That was the extent of Broughty’s attacking threat and, for the remainder of the match, Tayport continued to press for a breakthrough at the other end. Ronnie Kenneth’s presence in the box created an opportunity for Stefan Elvin, but his shot was mopped up. Then, in 66 minutes, a fine, low cross from Robert Smith seemed certain to result in a goal for Kenneth but the striker could only knock the ball over the top from close in

With 10 minutes remaining there was a penalty claim from the Tayport players. Substitute David Black arrowed a loose ball back into the box and ‘keeper McPherson failed to catch. Ronnie Kenneth seemed to nod the ball to the far post, where Derek Wemyss attempted to head home. The ball was eventually headed over by a defender, but there was a suspicion that the Wemyss header had hit a Broughty hand, before being cleared.

In the closing stages, Robert Smith tried his luck with a couple of free kicks, but to no avail, and Broughty took the points from a game which Tayport had dominated.

Fed boss Kenny Cameron was well satisfied with the result.

He commented: “I was delighted with the boys’ organisation and discipline in keeping a clean sheet and collecting the three points.

“The players worked their socks off and can all be quite rightly proud of their efforts.”

Tomorrow (Saturday) Fed are away to Ballingry Rovers. Kick-off is at 2.30 p.m.