Broughty tie is definite - indoors if need be!

BROUGHTY Athletic could go into the record books tomorrow (Saturday) if the pitch at Blantyre is unplayable for the tenth week in a row.

The nine times postponed Emirates Junior Cup tie between Blantyre Victoria and Tayside’s Broughty Athletic will be played on the scheduled day, come hell or, more likely, high water.

Broughty secretary Hugh Jamieson explained: “The match is scheduled to be played at Blantyre’s Castle Park and if their ground is unplayable after a 9 a.m. Saturday inspection then the tie will go on at the Ravenscraig indoor complex which has a provisional booking for 1 p.m.”

Broughty manager Kenny Cameron added: “Both clubs have now agreed on a 1 p.m. kick-off, irrespective of venue, which means our travel arrangements are the same no matter which location is used.”

Mr Jamieson added: “Tom Johnston of the SJFA and the East Region secretary have both been informed of the proposed alternative arrangements, including the kick-off time being brought forward to 1 p.m. If Castle Park is again declared unplayable there are no objections to the use of the Ravenscraig indoor facility.”

Mr Johnston said: “We had looked into the possibility of playing the Junior side of Ireland in an international last year indoors, however that never happened so this will be a first. I am sure everyone is delighted that we have the opportunity to play this game indoors as we have been waiting since November 27 for a winner.”

The £32 million Ravenscraig Regional Sports Facility opened its doors to the public on September 30 last year.

In addition to being used for training for the 2012 Olympic Games and the 2014 Commonwealth Games, the centre will be the main venue for the International Children’s Games, dubbed the ‘Mini Olympics’, which will see more than 2,000 children from around the world come to Lanarkshire in 2011.

North Lanarkshire Council, Sport Scotland and Ravenscraig Ltd., provided the funding for the complex which will host local, regional and national sports, as well as leisure and cultural events. It is also capable of accommodating up to 5,000 people attending concerts, exhibitions or sports events.

The complex comprises: a football and sports hall (105m x 73m x 18m high at its centre) with 400 spectator seats; an athletics hall featuring a track and field event training areas (26.5m x 135m and clear height of 7.4m and 9.7m); central changing rooms and entry area; dance studios; outdoor football and training pitches; interaction zones; a strength conditioning area; a café; a viewing gallery and an activity area for children.

The building design incorporates a striking serrated roof which allows natural light to enter the facility all year round – unusual for buildings with such large enclosed areas. Dependence on artificial lighting will be minimised helping reduce annual energy costs and the facility’s carbon footprint. The structure’s green credentials also extend to using biomass fuel and harvesting rainwater.

Broughty Athletic 4,

Dundonald Bluebell 4

When Saturday’s tie at Blantyre was called off, the Fed quickly arranged a friendly against Fife outfit Dundonald Bluebell at Gussie Park.

In a very entertaining encounter, Bluebell took the lead in the 20th minute after a defensive mix-up in the Fed defence allowed O’NEIL to ran through and finish neatly.

Broughty drew level in the 32nd minute when JAMIE WINTER linked up well with Dailly and fired into the corner of the net from just inside the box.

In the 40th minute Dundonald regained the lead in spectacular style when FORBES hit a screamer from 30 yards.

JAMIE WINTER scored again for Broughty to get back to all square just before half time with a goal similar to his first.

It was real end to end stuff with both sides seeing plenty of the ball and creating chances throughout.

Half-time: Broughty Athletic 2, Dundonald Bluebell 2.

Bluebell again went in front in the 55th minute when GREENHILL fired the ball passed Brown and into the corner of the net.

In 67 minutes Broughty made it 3-3 when JAMIE WINTER completed his hat-trick. He burst into the box and just placed his effort under the advancing ‘keeper and into the net.

The Fed took the lead for the first time in the match in the 79th minute when GRAHAM DAILLY finished well after a fine passage of play involving Farquharson and Winter.

THOMPSON completed the scoring for Dundonald in the 85th minute when he finished from close range from a good ball played in from the left.

After the game, Mr Cameron said: “It was an excellent workout for my players against a good Dundonald Bluebell outfit. My boys had to work really hard throughout the 90 minutes, an extremely worthwhile exercise. Thanks to Bluebell manager Colin Downie for the game and we wish him and his team all the best for the remainder of the season.”