Comfortable friendly win for Gowfers

editorial image

Carnoustie Panmure 4, AFC Milton 1

CARNOUSTIE Panmure played the second of their pre-season friendlies on Saturday when they played host to AFC Milton, from the Second Division of Stirling and District Amateur Leagues.

Manager Ian Gilzean was on holiday and so team matters were left in the hands of assistant manager, Graeme Christie, and coach, Alan McSkimming.

Although they were again rather short-handed, goalkeeper Chris MacPherson, signed during the close season, was available and was on from the start as was another new signing, centre-half, John Young. Also on from the start was the young trialist who did so well against Tayport the previous week. Bench spots went to Scott Robertson, Robert Hendry, and another couple of trialists, one a midfielder and the other as back-up goalkeeper.

Although it was the visitors who set the ball rolling, it was the Gowfers who were first to show, with Hunter sending a deep cross into the Milton box looking for Perera, but Kirkpatrick got there first and cleared the danger. In three minutes, Trialist took the ball up the right almost to the by-line, then sent in a good cross into the visitor’s goalmouth. Perera got a touch, then the ball was played back out to Cowan who hit a shot back in, but it hit the keeper’s right-hand post and it was scrambled away to safety.

Two minutes later, the Gowfers were again on the attack with Narey sending in a good cross to Perera who again got a touch, but A. Grieve had no trouble making the save.

The ‘keeper threw the ball out to Kirkpatrick who made a good run down the left before trying to find Cunningham, but Young got back to intercept and turn the ball behind for a fruitless corner. In 10 minutes the home team again came close when Narey put a great cross in to Perera, but the Carnoustie man sent his header over the top. The Gowfers kept pushing and in 14 minutes Narey fed a good ball through for Neave, but A. Grieve rushed off his line to claim it just before he got a touch. The striker’s first goal for the club was only delayed for a minute or so as Roberts picked up the ‘keeper’s clearance and played the ball through to NEAVE who took it forward then drilled it past the advancing ‘keeper.

Two minutes later Neave came close to doubling that advantage when he took a pass from Trialist, then fired in a shot, but the ‘keeper got across to block it out for a corner. McIlravey took the kick and found Perera, who played the ball in to Trialist at the back post, but his touch sent the ball inches wide of the upright and out behind for a goal-kick.

The Gowfers had another half-chance two minutes later when Trialist linked with McIlravey then fired in a fierce shot, but the ‘keeper brought off a great save to deny the youngster.

The homesters got their second in 25 minutes when Narey picked out PERERA with a great cross and he rose to head home. The Gowfers made their first change on the half-hour with Perera going off to make way for Newman.

In 33 minutes the visitors were awarded a free-kick on the edge of the Carnoustie box. McLEAN took the kick and hammered the ball through the defensive wall and into the net. Two minutes later Neave took a pass from Trialist and sent in a good cross looking for McIlravey, but Adamson got up to head clear. The ball fell back out to Neave who again sent it in, but this time McIlravey was caught offside.

Neave then sent in another great cross, but Trialist just failed to get on the end of it and it went out for a goal-kick.

In 43 minutes, Narey’s through-ball to Trialist was knocked behind for a corner. McIlravey played the flag kick into the goalmouth where NEAVE rose above the crowd of players to head high into the net and restore the Gowfer’s two-goal lead.

Half-time: Carnoustie Panmure 3, AFC Milton 1.

The Gowfers, now playing towards the town end and with the wind at their backs, attacked from the off. They were unlucky when Newman took a pass from Neave and chipped the ball over the advancing ‘keeper only to see it come back off the bar and be cleared by Adamson.

Still they kept pressing forward and firstly Neave linked with Narey who tried a shot from the edge of the box but hit it straight at A. Grieve, then moments later roles were reversed as Narey played the ball through to Neave who cheekily tried to lob the ball over the ‘keeper’s head as he rushed off his line. However, he didn’t lift it high enough and the custodian was able to jump up and claim it.

In 55 minutes Cook made a great run down the right then picked out McIlravey with a good ball but his shot was too direct and the ‘keeper saved easily.

On the hour mark both teams made a change, with Hendry replacing Hunter for the Gowfers and Balfour replacing Drummond for the visitors. A rare chance for Milton came in 64 minutes when Statter was fouled by Roberts. Anderson took the kick, but sent it high over the top.

Five minutes later Cowan was replaced by S. Robertson. In 71 minutes Newman made a good run down the right before swinging a good ball into the visitor’s goalmouth. As the ‘keeper came out, he collided with the in-rushing Neave and both went down. Thankfully, however, the pair were able to carry on after treatment.

Another Carnoustie attack saw McIlravey trying to find Neave with a deep cross, but Adamson got up well to head clear. Halliday picked up the loose ball and made a surging run upfield which was brought to a halt when he was fouled by S. Robertson. McLean took the kick and sent the ball deep into the Gowfer’s box, looking for Cunningham, but Narey got there first and headed away to safety

In 78 minutes the Gowfers again came close to adding to their score, when McIlravey fed a good ball through to Cook who curled in a shot, only to see it shave the top of the bar and go behind. They hit the bar again two minutes later when Newman found McIlravey just inside the box. With his back to goal, he turned on the proverbial sixpence and clipped in a shot, only to see it rebound off the woodwork with the ‘keeper beaten.

In 84 minutes the Gowfers made a further change, with ‘keeper MacPherson making way for Trialist Two. With two minutes of stoppage time played, the Gowfers did at last get the elusive fourth goal, when Neave sent a ball across the face of the visitor’s goal and NEWMAN, coming in at pace, fired it home.


Carnoustie Panmure: MacPherson, Narey, Cook, Hunter, Young, Cowan, Trialist, Roberts, Perera, Neave, McIlravey. Substitutes: S. Robertson, Newman, Hendry and Trialist (G.K.).

AFC Milton: A. Grieve, Adamson, Kirkpatrick, McLean, Fraser, Halliday, Drummond, Anderson, Statter, Cunningham, C. Grieve. Substitutes: Balfour, McGregor, S. Robertson and Dudgeon.

Referee: Mr C.Fordyce, Dundee.

Tomorrow’s match

Tomorrow (Saturday), the Gowfers play their third and final game in their pre-season warm-up programme when they play host to local amateurs, Carnoustie Y.M.

The match is due to kick-off at 2 p.m.