Cook’s slip proves costly for Gowfers in League Cup final

CARNOUSTIE Panmure travelled to North End Park on Saturday to meet Lochee United in the final of the D.J. Laing League Cup.

Manager Ian Gilzean was forced to make a change to the side that had lost to Hill of Beath the previous week. Kevin Milne was on from the start, replacing Scott Robertson, who was on holiday. Because of injuries and work commitments, the Gowfers could only muster two players for the bench, John Roberts and Mike McIlravey.

The Gowfers kicked off, playing down the slight slope. Clark played a good ball through for Gates to chase, but Lochee’s Richardson stepped in to clear upfield. Lawson played it through to Blackwood who couldn’t get to it before McCafferty.

The Gowfers then won a corner when a deep cross by Cummings was headed behind, but this was easily dealt with by Vanderdeyl.

In seven minutes, the Bluebells had a half-chance when they won a free-kick on the halfway line. McGuire sent the ball into the Carnoustie box but Blackwood clipped it over the bar.

Two minutes later it was the Gowfers’ turn to go close after a Cook cross was scrambled away for a corner by Vanderdeyl. Clark took the kick and found Perera, whose shot was cleared off the line by Hay. Cargill picked up the clearance and sent the ball through to Robertson, but he shot wide.

In 14 minutes Milne was close when his low drive was saved at the near post by Vanderdeyl. A minute later, Gates became the first player to be shown a yellow card after a foul on Cargill.

In 21 minutes, Perera was replaced by McIlravey after he had collided with team mate Millar and Vanderdeyl when they all went for the same ball. He suffered cuts to the face and was unable to carry on. Four minutes later, Lochee had to make a change, with Gallagher limping off to be replaced by Voigt. Gates then sent in a good cross looking for Milne, but Blackwood got up well to head clear.

It was end to end stuff at this stage. Millar stepped in to stop Lawson then, from the clearance, Milne’s control let him down and the ball spun behind for a goal-kick. The same player then had a snapshot partially blocked by Kirk and the ball ran through to Vanderdeyl.

From a free kick, Richardson tried to find Blackwood but a good interception by Millar got the ball away. In 36 minutes McIlravey linked with Clark who, after controlling the ball well, saw his shot go just wide.

Two minutes later the Gowfers were behind. Blackwood played a long ball forward which Cook tried to get to but he slipped on the greasy surface and this allowed ALEXANDER to fire the ball into the bottom right-hand corner of the net.

Just on half-time, Lochee’s Kirk was shown yellow for a foul on Cumming.

Half-time: Carnoustie Panmure 0, Lochee United 1.

At the start of the second half Millar came close for Carnoustie with a header but McGuire made the clearance. From a free-kick in 56 minutes, Hay sent in a dangerous cross, but Cook got up well to clear. From the clearance Gates went on a great run but was tackled by Hay before he could get a shot off, and the ball went out for a corner.

Blackwood became the second Lochee player to be shown a yellow card. From the corner Blackwood then went on a great run, and only an excellent saving tackle by Narey stopped him.

In 64 minutes Alexander was replaced by Grant. A minute later only a great header from Hay in front of the Bluebell’s goal prevented Milne from making more of a great cross from Cook. Three minutes later, after good work by Gates and Cumming, Milne shot narrowly over.

In 77 minutes, a long throw-in from Richardson into the Gowfers’ box, wasn’t cleared properly and Blackwood’s shot was pushed round his post by McCafferty. From the corner, there were claims of hand ball from the Lochee players, but the referee waved play-on and Millar cleared.

Roberts then came on for Narey and O’Leary replaced Blackwood. Gowfers’ Millar then made a great tackle on Voigt before he could get off a shot. Cargill became the third Lochee player to be booked when he wouldn’t move back at a Carnoustie free-kick.

Four minutes from the end the Gowfers almost equalised when Cook unleashed a powerful shot, but a fantastic save by Vanderdeyl kept Lochee ahead. Carnoustie kept pressing and, although they got three corners they could make nothing of them.

The cup and medals were presented by Gary Laing, son of the sponsor, Mr D.J. Laing. Man of the match was the Bluebell’s full-back Stuart Richardson.


Carnoustie Panmure: McCafferty, Narey (Roberts 78), Cook, Millar, Tonner, Hendry, Cumming, Clark, Perera (McIlravey 21), Milne and Gates.

Lochee United: Vanderdeyl, Richardson, Hay, McGuire, Kirk, Alexander (Grant 64), Gallagher (Voigt 25), Cargill, Blackwood (O’Leary 80), Lawson, Robertson. Substitutes not used: Irons, Browne, Pepper and Buttar, gk.

Referee: Mr. Kevin J. Graham, Perth.

Tomorrow’s match

The Gowfers have a free week this week, due to Forfar West End unfortunately going into abeyance on Tuesday. Carnoustie were meant to be playing Musselburgh Athletic at Laing Park in the ACA Sports East Super League, but because of fixture rescheduling they have now got a week off.

They have been drawn away in the Emirates Scottish Junior Cup to Lothians club, Blackburn United, who play in the East South Division. Their paths have crossed before, in a second round tie in 1999 when it took a replay and extra-time before Carnoustie ran out 4-1 winners. This match is due to be played on October 29 with a 2.30 p.m. start.

Results: ACA Sports East Super League: Bathgate Thistle 2, Bonnyrigg Rose 2; Bo’ness United 3, St Andrews United 0; Camelon 0, Hill of Beath Hawthorn 3.