Coyne hat-trick bunkers gowfers

Linlithgow Rose 5, CarnoustiePanmure 2.

Last Saturday, Carnoustie Panmure were back on their travels, heading this time for Prestonfield and a meeting with high-flying Linlithgow Rose in the East Superleague.

Manager Alan McSkimming was forced to make a number of changes to the side that had triumphed over Fauldhouse the previous week, with Mike McIlravey unavailable and Kev Cumming still feeling the effects of a knock, picked up in that game. Liam Scott was, of course, still out with his long-term shoulder injury.

The homesters put the visitors under pressure right from the off and after five minutes Millar did well to clear a Kelly shot off the line, with Ferrie beaten.

Three minutes later, Kelly tried another shot, but this time it was just off target and the ball whizzed narrowly past Ferrie’s right-hand post. The Gowfers began to come more into things and took the lead after 16 minutes, after some good work out on the left by Simpson, who laid the ball off to BEWS, at the edge of the box, and he took a couple of steps before rifleing a low shot past McKinven into the bottom corner of the net.

This lead was not to last very long however, as just four minutes later, a long ball, over the Gowfers defence, was picked up by COYNE who strode forward and drove it past Ferrie to level the tie.

Play continued to swing from end to end and in 27 minutes, the Gowfers regained the lead after M. Scott made a good run down the right, then sent in a good cross to BLACK, who rose to power a header past McKinven into the net.

It is often said a team is most vulnerable just after they’ve scored and so it proved for the Gowfers as, just a minute later, Maclennan sent in a good cross from the left and STRICKLAND fired it home from six yards, to once again level things. Just before the break, the Gowfers won a corner when a fierce drive by M. Scott was turned behind by O’Byrne. Black took the kick, but when the ball came over it was cleared to safety by Thom.

Half-time: Linlithgow Rose 2, CarnoustiePanmure 2.

On the restart, as at the start of the first half, the Gowfers found themselves under intense pressure and in 50 minutes Coyne fired in a fierce shot, but fortunately Kenneth was on hand to clear it off the line.

With an hour on the watch, the Gowfers made their first change, with Black going off to make way for Neath.

Just two minutes later the home side had a great chance to go in front, but Coyne put his shot straight at Ferrie, who had no trouble making the save and a minute later it was the Rose’s turn to make a change, with Maclennan going off for Smith. Moments later, the homesters had another great chance to take the lead, but again Ferrie brought of another good save, from Coyne’s shot.

In 70 Minutes, M. Scott was chasing back after Kelly and accidentely caught his heel and down he went. The referee immediately pointed to the spot with no protest coming from the Gowfers and COYNE took the kick, firing the ball home, with Ferrie having no chance. Two minutes later the home side made a second change, with Kelbie taking over from Thom.

In 80 minutes, disaster struck for the Gowfers when COYNE pounced on a poor clearance by the visitor’s defence, drove forward, then drilled the ball low, past Ferrie, to complete his hat-trick and put his side two in front. Four minutes later, the home side won a corner out on the right, which was taken by Nelson, who picked out the unmarked KELBIE and who headed it past Ferrie for number five.

The Gowfers had a chance to pull one back, three minutes later, but McKinven made a good save from M. Scott’s free-kick. This was the last action as, moments later, the referee brought the tie to a close, leaving the Gowfers still looking for their first win at Prestonfield, after eight attempts.

Linlithgow Rose: McKinven, Thom, McKillen, O’Byrne, Ovenstone, Nelson, Kelly, Tyrrell, Strickland, Coyne, Roddie Maclennan. Substitutes – Kelbie, McGowan, Smith, McArthur, Christie (GK).

Carnoustie Panmure: Ferrie, Cook, Kohler, Millar, Robertson, Kenneth, M. Scott, Black, Bews, P. Smith, Simpson. Substitutes – Buggins, Neath, Birmingham, Thomson, Macpherson (GK).

Tomorrow, the Gowfers are on their travels again and also get a break from trying to collect league points. Their destination this time is Hermand Park and a meeting with West Calder United in the second round of the Scottish Junior Cup.

The Lothian club, who currently play in the East Region South League, lie in fifth spot in the table and would seem to be the ‘draw kings’ of the division, with five draws and three wins in their ten games played.

The pair have met twice before, most recently in the D.J. Laing East of Scotland Cup, with the Gowfers winning that first-round tie 3-0 at Hermand Park on September 14, 2013.

Before that they met in the third round of the national competition on December 6, 1997, at the Gowfers’ old stomping ground, Westfield Park, with the home side winning 4-1.

Tomorrow’s action gets underway at 2.30 p.m., with a replay at Laing Park the following week, should the sides finish level after 90 minutes.

Results: Sauchie Juniors 4, Lochee United 1; Linlithgow Rose 5, Carnoustie Panmure 2; Hill of Beath Hawthorn 0, Penicuik Athletic 1; Fauldhouse United 0, Kelty Hearts 0; Broxburn Athletic 0, Camelon Juniors 0; Bonnyrigg Rose 4, Armadale Thistle 2; Ballingry Rovers 0, Bo’ness United 4; Newtongrange Star 1, Musselburgh Athletic 0. East Superleague

P W D L F A Pt

Newtongrange Star 10 7 3 0 22 7 24

Kelty Hearts 9 7 2 0 29 8 23

Linlithgow Rose 8 6 1 1 23 10 19

Bo’ness United 9 5 2 2 25 10 17

Musselburgh Athletic 10 4 2 4 15 16 14

Penicuik Athletic 9 4 2 3 14 17 14

Bonnyrigg Rose 9 4 1 4 19 16 13

Hill of Beath Hawthorn 9 3 2 4 16 15 11

Broxburn Athletic 10 2 5 3 11 14 11

Sauchie Juniors 9 3 2 4 11 20 11

Camelon Juniors 10 2 4 4 12 17 10

Ballingry Rovers 9 3 1 5 9 19 10

Fauldhouse United 11 1 5 5 16 20 8

Carnoustie Panmure 10 2 2 6 12 24 8

Lochee United 9 2 1 6 15 28 7

Armadale Thistle 9 1 3 5 12 20 6