Cup win for Gowfers

THE GOWFERS made the short journey into Dundee on Saturday to face Lochee Harp at Beechwood Park in the G.A. Engineering Cup.

For the tie, manager Ian Gilzean made some changes from the team which had lost to Linlithgow Rose the previous week. In came Cook, Neave and Perera with McIlravey and Dailly dropping to the bench to join Millar, M. Scott and Findlay.

Harp kicked off, but Carnoustie quickly gained possesion and Deasley fed a great pass through to Clark. Brown came off his line quickly to block his effort for a corner, which came to nothing.

The visitors prospered from their next flag kick however. In three minutes, Clark’s cross to the far side was driven goalwards by Robertson and the ball took a slight deflection off NEAVE and flew into the net.

Harp were stung into action and Gormley put in a good cross, but it was blasted well over by Williamson. Rosscraig then tried a low drive from the edge of the box, but it was well held by Macpherson.

L. Scott then made a driving run into the Harp box, beating three men, but Brown was out quickly to steal the ball at his feet. Deasley was put through by Roberts and he lofted the ball over the outrushing Brown, but it just drifted past the right-hand post.

McHugh fouled Perera 30 yards out and Clark’s free kick beat the defensive wall, but not Brown, who held it easily. In 23 minutes a Williamson shot was blocked by Young in the box and although there were loud appeals for a penalty, the referee waved them away and booked Williamson for protesting too vehemently.

Cook then broke up the left and fired in a cross to Neave, but again Brown came out to gather the ball. The same player again put in a low cross, this time to L. Scott, but he fired well over. At the other end Harp won a corner off Narey, but the kick by Rosscraig was too strong and ran out at the far side for a throw in.

Stark tried a long range effort for Harp, but it was straight at Macpherson. McHugh then fouled Clark 30 yards out and his kick to the far post fell to Neave, but his shot was blocked by Millar for a fruitless corner.

Deasley had a shot from 25 yards, but it was well over and Neave made a good run into the Harp box, going down under a tackle from Rae. This time it was Carnoustie’s appeals for a penalty that were denied by the referee.

Deasley then made a good run into the Harp box and was brought down by McHugh, this time with the referee pointing to the spot. Deasley took the penalty himself, but Brown made a fine save to turn the ball away to his right and Deasley was booked for kicking the ball away in disgust.

Clark then forced a corner on the right and his kick was met by L. Scott, but his shot was just over, from the edge of the box. Carnoustie got a free kick when Neave was pushed at the edge of the box by Rae, but Perera’s kick to Clark was wasted by the Gowfer’s player.

Half-time: Lochee Harp 0, Carnoustie Panmure 1.

Harp replaced Ferguson with Gray for the start of the second half. The visitors started off well and Neave made a good run up the right, but his shot went right across the goal and out for a goal kick. Then a Clark corner to the far post was played back into the six-yard box by Deasley, but a free kick was awarded against Robertson for pushing.

Harp then won a free-kick for a foul by Roberts 35 yards out, but the effort, taken by Rosscraig, was well held by Macpherson. In 60 minutes the Gowfers made a change with Neave being replaced by M. Scott. He got into the action right away, laying a ball off for Clark to have a go, but again Brown made a fine save.

A Harp attack resulted in a long-range effort by Stark, but it was well held by Macpherson. Carnoustie almost paid the penalty for slackness when Young was very short with a passback and Gray was right through, but Macpherson saved the day by coming out to make a great save at the Harp player’s feet.

In 64 minutes Perera was replaced by Dailly for the Gowfers. Clark won a corner off Millar, but his kick was wasted when the ‘keeper was fouled going for the high ball. At the other end a free-kick was awarded against Dailly for a push on Gray, but Stark’s kick was well over. Narey then made a good run down the right and laid the ball off to L. Scott, but he also shot over. In 71 minutes Roberts was booked for a foul on Paterson and two minutes later the Gowfers made their third change, replacing Deasley with McIlravey.

A free kick, awarded for a foul on Gormley, was taken by Rae and was punched out by Macpherson for M. Scott to gather and make a bee-line for Harp’s box, but his shot was blocked. Brother M. Scott then fired a shot in from the edge of the box but it was well over the bar. In 77 minutes Stark was replaced by Mann and a minute later Dailly had a chance to seal the game when he was right through on goal, but he shot weakly past Brown’s right-hand post.

With 10 minutes left, Carnoustie finally got the clincher when Clark made a great run from halfway and laid the ball off for M. SCOTT to drive it high past Brown from 20 yards.

In 84 minutes Gray was booked for dissent. Two minutes later Carnoustie had a scare when a Narey clearance was fired back in by Williamson from outside the box, but Macpherson again came to the rescue, making a tremendous save to turn it past.

Rae comitted a foul on Dailly on the right, but Narey’s free-kick was cleared by McHugh and in the final minute Carnoustie won a corner which Clark played into McIlravey, but his shot was blocked and cleared up the park.


Lochee Harp: Brown, Mitchell, Millar, Rae, McHugh, Paterson, Rosscraig, Gormley, Williamson, Stark (Mann 77), Ferguson (Gray 45). Substitutes not used: Fotheringham, Gallacher and Scott.

Carnoustie Panmure: Macpherson, Narey, Cook, Robertson, Young, L. Scott, Neave (M. Scott 60), Roberts, Perera (Dailly 64), Clark, Deasley (McIlravey 73). Substitutes not used: Millar and Findlay (gk).

Tomorrow’s match

Tomorrow (Saturday) the Gowfers are again away from home, this time to Hill of Beath Hawthorn, who sit just below them, in the East Superleague.

Kick-off will be at 1.45 p.m.