Easy League Cup win for Gowfers

editorial image

Carnoustie Panmure 6, Coupar Angus 0

CARNOUSTIE Panmure played host on Saturday to Coupar Angus Juniors, who were paying their first ever visit to Laing Park, for the Gowfers’ fourth and final tie in the D.J. Laing North League Cup.

Coupar Angus kicked off, but the Gowfers quickly won possession and Roberts played a quick ball into their box, but it was a bit too strong and went straight through to the ‘keeper.

The homesters then got a scare themselves when Coupar forced a corner on the left. Spence’s kick was headed strongly by Mitchell, but the ball was blocked on the line by Hunter and grabbed by McPherson.

Carnoustie took the lead in 15 minutes when a long ball over the defence by L. Scott put DAILLY through and as the ‘keeper came out he chipped it over him into the empty net.

The Gowfers forced a corner when the ‘keeper turned a Clark shot past the post, but McIlravey’s kick was headed past by Hunter.

Coupar’s Cassidy then had a fierce shot from 30 yards and McPherson did well to punch the ball clear.

In 28 minutes the home team went two ahead. McIlravey made a good run down the right and laid the ball along the edge of the box for ROBERTS to fire home a low drive.

In 35 minutes Hareck was booked for a late tackle on Hunter.

The visitors were awarded a corner which was taken by Spence and headed clear by Ferguson. McIlravey picked up the loose ball, broke up the park and crossed into the box, but Roberts just failed to get a touch to knock it into the net.

M. Scott then laid a fine ball through to Dailly, but his shot was deflected for a fruitless corner off Conway.

Half-time: Carnoustie Panmure 2, Coupar Angus 0.

The Gowfers increased their lead in the first minute of the second half. Clark laid the ball off for the onrushing FERGUSON to fire past the ‘keeper from the corner of the box.

A flag kick by McIlravey was then headed out by Scrimgeour and landed at the feet of L. Scott on the edge of the box, but he shot weakly past. In 53 minutes Carnoustie added another when McILRAVEY scored from close range.

Hareck was lucky not to receive a second yellow after a foul on Young, but the referee decided a lecture was enough. In 60 minutes Coupar replaced Spence and Brown with Caley and Webster and at the same time the homesters brought on Perera and Neave for M. Scott and Dailly.

Carnoustie came close again when Clark’s short corner to L. Scott was hit narrowly over the bar by the Gowfers’ player. In 63 minutes Perera made a forceful run along the by line and laid the ball across the six-yard box for ROBERTS to slide home number five.

Cowan came on for Narey in 66 minutes and was immediately fouled on the right corner of the box by Caley, but Hunter couldn’t make the most of Clark’s free-kick and headed past.

Coupar finally got into Carnoustie’s half and won a corner, but Cassidy’s kick was headed strongly up the field by Hunter. In 77 minutes Coupar made another substitution, replacing Hareck with McGregor.

A minute later the Gowfers made it six when McILRAVEY burst through and slotted past the ‘keeper from just inside the box. By this time the constant rain was starting to create surface water, making it difficult to play the ball along the ground.

The homesters won another corner and Clark’s kick was headed goalwards by Hunter, but it was scrambled clear by the Coupar defence.

The visitors’ ‘keeper was tested by a low drive from McIlravey, but he managed to hold the wet ball at the second attempt.

The last effort of the game came from Coupar’s Cassidy, but he shot weakly past.


Carnoustie Panmure: MacPherson, Narey (Cowan, 66), Ferguson, Young, Hunter, Roberts, M. Scott (Perera, 60), L. Scott, Dailly (Neave, 60), Clark, McIlravey. Substitutes not used: Findlay (T,GK).

Coupar Angus: M. Mackie, G. Mackie, Brown (Webster, 60), Conway, Scrimgeour, Malone, Heard, Mitchell, Hareck (McGregor, 77), Cassidy, Spence (Caley, 60). Substitutes not used: Ogilvie.

Referee: Mr Scott Leslie, Brechin.

Tomorrow’s match

Tomorrow (Saturday) with the disappointment of the League Cup behind them, the Gowfers embark on this season’s McBookie.com East Super League programme and are faced with one of the toughest ties, when they travel to Prestonfield to meet Linlithgow Rose.

The game kicks off at 2.30 p.m.

Inter-Region Cup

The draw for the North/Tayside Inter-Region Cup, sponsored by G.A. Engineering, was made on Sunday in the Station Hotel, Stonehaven, and resulted in the Gowfers being drawn away to Brechin Vics in the preliminary round.

Should they negotiate this hurdle successfully, they will then travel to meet Lochee Harp in the first round proper. No dates have as yet been fixed for these ties.