Fed fail to find the net

BROUGHTY Athletic travelled to Fife on Saturday afternoon to face Ballingry Rovers in a Premier Division league fixture.

The Fed kept up good early pressure with MacLeod then Dailly having shots saved by the Ballingry ‘keeper.

They thought they had taken the lead in 25 minutes when a good delivery into the box was palmed away by Roberts only as far as Craik who finished neatly into the corner of the net. Unfortunately referee Banks decided the player had been in an offside position and the ‘goal’ was disallowed.

Ballingry’s Lawrie had a good opportunity from a free kick in 32 minutes but his effort from distance was well saved by Cormack.

The home side opened the scoring against the run of play just before the interval. Stark miscontrolled and the ball was played in to striker ADAM who finished well into the corner of the net.

Another chance fell Broughty’s way when Craik found space inside the box but his shot went straight into ‘keeper Robert’s arms.

Half Time: Ballingry Rovers 1, Broughty Athletic 0.

Ballingry started the second half very much on the front foot. Gilfillan had a shot from 25 yards saved by Cormack in 55 minutes. Ballingry were much more of a force and forced Broughty into mistakes all over the park.

A great corner kick from Stark on the hour mark was missed by Roberts but defender Davies did brilliantly to beat Tweed to the header and clear the danger.

It was end-to-end stuff with both sides knowing that the next goal was going to be crucial.

A long ball deceived Bertie at the back for Broughty and Gillfillan raced to connect but Cormack was quick off his line to deny the striker a goal-scoring opportunity.

With 10 minutes left Broughty went two down. The Fed were slow to react to a short corner kick and the ball was allowed to be played into the box too easily and ADAM found space for a free header from six yards.

That persuaded Broughty to push forward and they had two good chances in quick succession when first MacLeod miscontrolled inside the box and then Dailly fired wide.

The home side saw the rest of the game out in the corner areas of Broughty’s half before the referee blew for full time. In a tight game Broughty created more than enough chances but failed to convert them whereas credit must go to Ballingry for taking theirs.

After the match manager Kenny Cameron stated: “ I am very disappointed with the result. We actually did well in possession of the ball in large spells of the game but poor decision-making by my players, both in the defensive and attacking third, cost us dear.

“We created more chances today than perhaps in any other league game so far yet failed to score. Additionally, the goals we gave away were extremely poor from our point of view.”

He concluded: “You simply cannot afford to do that in this league against a team of Ballingry’s quality or you will be punished, as we were today.”