Fed no match for Armadale Thistle

BROUGHTY Athletic were beaten by Armadale Thistle in Saturday’s Premier League match at Volunteer Park.

Early home pressure resulted in a 30-yard free kick being well saved by Cormack in the Fed goal.

The visitors came more into the game and were denied a penalty when the referee waved play on after Garrick appeared to be impeded in the box in 30 minutes.

The home side opened the scoring when FEENEY scored from close range after a knock down in the box.

‘Dale went two up on the stroke of half time after Broughty gave away a needless corner kick. They were punished to the full when MORRISON rose highest to bullet a header home.

Half-time: Armadale Thistle 2, Broughty Athletic 0.

In 65 minutes, with Broughty having their best spell in the game, it was Armadale who scored a crucial third goal. The Fed were caught on the attack when BONNAR sprinted clear and chipped the ball home.

The home side was now very much in the mood and completed the scoring five minutes from the end when FEENEY spun in the box and finished well into the corner of the net.

All-in-all this was a disappointing performance from Broughty against an Armadale team which looked very much in the mood.

Manager’s comment

Speaking immediately after the match, manager Kenny Cameron did nothing to hide his disappointment about the result and his team’s display.

He said: “It has been a frustrating day especially after we competed so well against Tayport the week before. We just did not turn up and lost too many battles all over the pitch.”

Gowfers’ cup-tie frozen off.

ON SATURDAY, Carnoustie Panmure’s scheduled G.A. Engineering Cup tie against Montrose Roselea fell foul of the weather.

When members of the committee arrived at Laing Park they found that, as a result of overnight temperatures which had plummeted to minus six degrees, the playing surface was frozen solid.

When league secretary John Reilly was informed, he advised that the club should wait as long as possible before calling in a referee for a pitch inspection. This was duly carried out just after 10 a.m., by local referee Mike Roncone and he had no hesitation in declaring it unplayable.

It is possible that this tie will be played a week tomorrow (January 28), but this has still to be confirmed.

Tomorrow (Saturday), the Gowfers head for the Lothians when they travel to Prestonfield Park to meet Linlithgow Rose in the ACA Sports East Super League.

When the sides last met back in September at Laing Park, the Gowfers ran out narrow 3-2 winners but they have yet to win away against Linlithgow, with their best result in four attempts being a 1-1 draw in March, 2003.

No doubt tomorrow’s match will be another tight encounter. Kick-off is scheduled for 1.45 p.m.

The supporters’ bus leaves Stag’s Head at 10.30 a.m.

ACA Sports East

Super League

P W L D F A Pts

Hill of Beath 12 7 1 4 30 14 25

Bonnyrigg 9 6 2 2 25 14 20

Bathgate 13 5 3 5 22 21 20

Linlithgow 11 5 3 3 23 18 18

Camelon 10 5 3 2 17 15 17

Bo’ness 8 4 2 2 20 10 14

Mus’burgh 12 3 6 3 31 32 12

Kelty 9 3 0 2 12 12 11

St Andrews 12 3 7 2 19 30 11

Lochee 10 3 5 2 23 22 11

Carn Pan 8 1 5 2 9 19 5