Fed share the spoils in Perth friendly

BROUGHTY Athletic shared the honours with Jeanfield Swifts in an entertaining game last Tuesday afternoon at the McDiarmid Park astro in Perth.

Jeanfield went a goal up when Bryan Scott broke clear and finished well from just inside the box in 30 minutes. Broughty levelled the game in the 60th minute when Graeme Dailly fired home from close range after an excellent passing move.

Broughty moved ahead in the 74th minute when John Farquharson nodded home from a corner but Swifts tied the game with two minutes remaining, when a Fed defensive mix-up from a corner led to the ball ending up in the net.

Fed manager Kenny Cameron said: “Considering it was both teams’ first game for a while, I thought that the sides played some decent football in an entertaining game. All the players managed to get 75 minutes under their belts in some much-needed game time.”

The boss concluded: “Thanks again to manager Scott Brown and the Jeanfield boys and we wish them well for the rest of the season.”

Blantyre tie

Saturday’s oft-postponed Scottish Junior Cup third round tie away to Blantyre Vics was called off once again, despite hopes being high that the game would go ahead.

But with four inches of snow lying on Castle Park, there was no option but to cancel.

Instead, the Fed’s squad headed across the Tay to Tentsmuir beach for a training session.

Mr Cameron said afterwards: “We had a good two-hour session, including a 90-minute nine-a-side game between ourselves. Only Darren Brown and Brian Craik were missing, both due to work commitments.”

“The game was tied 5-5 after 90 minutes and five penalties each, and went to sudden death. The ‘Oranges’ held their nerve and came out on top!”

The boss concluded: “It was something different for the boys today and they all seemed to enjoy the change of scenery. All the players worked really hard throughout the session. It was good to get the ball out again and they will feel the benefit of some more much-needed match practice.

“It was a great day all round, full of banter which is terrific for team spirit.”

So it’s back to keeping fingers crossed for the Blantyre Vics game tomorrow (Saturday).

Arrangements remain the same: The Emirates Scottish Junior Cup third round tie will kick-off at 1.45 p.m. at Castle Park, Forrest Street, Blantyre.

PS - Meanwhile the cold weather continues to cause problems. The pipes at the Whitton Park pavilion froze, then burst.

“Nightmare,” was manager Kenny Cameron’s succinct comment.