Fine away win for Fed

Penicuik Athletic 1,

Broughty Athletic 2

BROUGHTY Athletic travelled to Midlothian on Saturday to face Penicuik Athletic in a Premier Division fixture.

And they returned very satisfied after defeating their hosts 2-1. Boss Kenny Cameron said: “That was an excellent contest and those three points were hard-earned. I thought my players worked really hard both individually and as a team today for the win. If we had won last week we would have moved up to third place, so I’m pleased we did that this week.”

Broughty were forced into an early change in the fifth minute when Allan picked up an injury and was replaced by Flynn.

The home side were passing the ball well and created a chance with Knight cutting inside and shooting goalwards from 25 yards.

Broughty pushed forward and Flynn saw a shot from distance go over the bar in the 15th minute.

Penicuik thought they had opened the scoring minutes later when Harvey broke free on the right and squared the ball across the face of goal. Myles did brilliantly at the back post to deny Thompson and get the ball out for a corner.

It was, however, the Fed who scored first in what was proving to be a lively opening spell for both sides. A cross into the box from Farquharson in the 30th minute was won by Myles, who found LUNAN free and the striker made no mistake from five yards.

Knight, for the home side, was looking good on the left wing. From a diagonal pass he cut inside before sending a shot in which beat keeper Comack and came back off the post three minutes later.

Broughty went two up in the game when, after good build up play, Dailly found space on the right inside the box. His cross was controlled and then volleyed home from eight yards by MYLES.

Half-time: Penicuik Athletic 0, Broughty Athletic 2.

The start of the second half saw Broughty go straight on the attack and the visitors won a corner kick inside the first couple of minutes. From the resultant set piece the ball just would not come down for Tweed quickly enough and the big defender was forced to rush his shot inches over the bar.

Fed were showing a great work rate throughout the team and chasing down every ball all over the park. None more so than Brash in the middle of the park, giving Penicuik’s Barr no time on the ball.

The skilfull Brigain showed good footwork to break free on the right although Ogilvie showed all his experience to come across and cut out the danger.

All Penicuik’s efforts were from distance when first Barr then Harvey saw shots go over the bar from fully 25 yards out.

That changed minutes later when Broughty switched off for the first time in the game at a corner which was allowed to be taken early. Harvey saw his cross- come-shot cannon off the back post and away to safety.

Dailly then broke free upfield in a really open game in the seventy-eighth minute but good defending by Cunnison saw the danger cleared for a corner to Broughty.

Penicuik scored what proved to be only a consolation counter in the 84th minute when Knight squared the ball across goal for THOMPSON to finish at the back post.

Tomorrow’s match

Tomorrow (Saturday), Broughty are at home to Broxburn at Whitton Park. The match kicks-off at 1.45 p.m.

Scottish Cup

The draw for the third round of the Emirates Scottish Junior Cup was made in the offices of The Sun newspaper in Glasgow on Sunday.

Broughty were handed an away tie against West Region Central Division Two side Carluke Rovers.