First half display sees off Bo’ness

editorial image

CARNOUSTIE Panmure slotted five past second-placed Bo’ness United at Laing park on Saturday and elevated themselves to third place in the East Super League.

Manager Ian Gilzean made one change to the side that exited the Scottish Cup to Dundonald Bluebell the previous week. Josh Perera was on from the start with Steven Narey dropping to the bench where he was joined by Harry Neave and a young trialist, Cameron Stephen. Brian Clark, Scott Hunter and John Young were all unavailable due to injury.

The Gowfers made a sensational start when, from the kick-off, M. Scott put McIlravey through and he attempted to round the ‘keeper who pulled him down for a penalty with only a minute gone. Wallace, the ‘keeper, was booked and McIlravey took the kick, but unfortunately blasted it against the crossbar.

The homesters kept up the pressure and McIlravey sent in a deep cross from the left, but it was too strong and drifted out the far side.

Bo’ness then had a chance when Hamilton slipped the ball through to Morrison, but he didn’t connect properly and it trickled past. They were then awarded a free-kick 45 yards out, but Devine’s kick was headed strongly up the park by Robertson to clear the danger.

A Ferguson free kick was headed out for a corner by Kennedy. The flag kick was taken by McIlravey and he found Dailly who got in a header, but Wallace held it easily.

In 12 minutes the Gowfers took the lead after M. Scott put Dailly away down the right. He sent in a cross to PERERA who headed past Wallace from six yards. The visitors made a surge up the park and Devine put over a good cross, but it was headed past by Hamilton.

In 14 minutes Walker limped off to be replaced by Donaldson. Bo’ness then won a corner which was taken by Devine, but Macpherson punched the ball away. Donaldson then put Morrison through, but he had strayed offside

With 20 minutes played, Carnoustie increased their lead. A corner on the right by McIlravey was headed down by Perera and MILLAR hammered the ball home from close range.

Then the homesters kept the pressure on the Bo’ness defence and went further ahead in 24 minutes. L. Scott sent Dailly on his way down the left and he put over a great cross which was headed powerfully past Wallace by ROBERTS.

The visitors kept trying and a snap-shot by McAvoy was easily held by Macpherson. They then won a corner on the right, but Donaldson’s kick was again easily held by the home ‘keeper.

Carnoustie could do no wrong and in 34 minutes shocked the visitors with another goal. Dailly put McILRAVEY away down the left and he cut into the box and fired past Wallace into the far corner.

Bo’ness were awarded a free 40 yards out and Bonar’s kick fell for Morrison, but he shot past. A Donnelly free kick was then hit straight at Macpherson who punted the ball up the park to give McIlravey an opening, but he shot past from 25 yards.

WITH only a minute of the first half left, Carnoustie went nap. Devine fouled M. Scott out on the right and the free kick was taken by Ferguson. Hamilton cleared the effort away for a corner which was taken by McIlravey. The flag kick was was met by ROBERTSON, whose shot from 15 yards was blocked but came back out to him and this time he steadied himself and smashed the ball through a ruck of players into the net.

Half-time: Carnoustie Panmure 5, Bo’ness United 0.

The homesters almost made it six in the first minute of the second half when an M. Scott cross was met by Perera, but Wallace made a great save from his close range shot.

At the other end, Devine pounced on a loose ball 30 yards out and tried to lob the ball over Macpherson, but the home ‘keeper got up well and held it under the bar.

Bo’ness then replaced Bonar and Kennedy with Hunter and Snowdon. In 57 minutes Hamilton was yellow carded for remarks to the linesman.

A long range shot by L. Scott caused Wallace to fumble, but there was no Gowfers’ player close enough to take advantage.

The visitors kept pressing and a free kick by Snowdon from halfway was headed by Hunter, but easily held by Macpherson. In 60 minutes Donnelly was given a straight red card for a studs up tackle on Ferguson and in 61 minutes McAvoy was booked for a foul on Dailly.

The visitors finally got on the scoresheet in 67 minutes when a Donaldson long ball into the box was left by both Ferguson and Macpherson and HAMILTON nipped in to take advantage. That gave the visitors a bit of heart and Hunter’s long ball into the Gowfer’s box was met by a strong drive by Morrison, but Macpherson got down to make a fine save.

In 73 minutes Cook fouled Devine 30 yards out and was booked. Devine took the kick himself, but Millar got up well and headed clear. A minute later Hunter was booked for a foul on Dailly before Carnoustie made a change with M. Scott going off to be replaced by Neave.

A corner by Devine off Ferguson was punched out by Macpherson to L. Scott who made ground up the right, but his cross was held by Wallace. In 83 minutes White was booked for a foul on Dailly and in 87 minutes McIlravey went off to be replaced by trialist Stephen.

Roberts then fed the ball through to Dailly, but he had misjudged his run and was caught offside. At the other end Hamilton tried a curling shot from outside the box, but it was well held by Macpherson. Just on full time, Nimmo was booked for a foul on L. Scott.


Carnoustie Panmure: Macpherson, Cook, Ferguson, Robertson, Millar, Roberts, L. Scott, M. Scott (Neave 77), Perera, Dailly, McIlravey (Stephen 87). Substitutes not used: Narey and Finlay (gk).

Bo’ness United: Wallace, Bonar (Hunter 53), Devine, Kennedy (Snowdon 53), White, Nimmo, Walker (Donaldson 14), Donnelly, Morrison, McAvoy, Hamilton. Substitutes not used: Scanlon and Harvey.

Referee: Mr Ross McIntyre, Dundee.

Matchball sponsor: Selan Kitchen Design, Broughty Ferry.

Tomorrow’s match

Tomorrow (Saturday), the Gowfers are back on the road, heading this time for Keir’s Park to meet Hill o’ Beath Hawthorn in the McBookie East Super League.

Keir’s Park is not exactly a ‘happy hunting ground’ for the Gowfers and they will have to be at their very best if they are to take anything from the game.

Kick-off will be at 2 p.m. East Super League

P W L D F A Pts

Linlithgow Rose 7 7 0 0 22 7 21

Bo’ness United 6 4 1 1 16 10 12

Carnoustie Panmure 6 3 2 1 11 9 10

Kelty Hearts 4 3 1 0 14 6 9

Camelon 6 3 3 0 13 12 9

Hill o’ Beath 6 3 3 0 8 12 9

Broxburn Athletic 6 2 3 1 10 8 7

Bonnyrigg Rose 5 2 2 1 12 11 7

Sauchie Juniors 5 2 2 1 10 10 7

St Andrews United 6 1 4 1 8 21 4

Lochee United 4 0 2 2 7 11 2

Musselburgh Athletic 7 0 5 2 6 15 2