Frazzled Fed take field three times in five days

BROUGHTY travelled across the Forth for the second time in a week on Saturday to face Whitburn at Central Park in a game in which both sides were looking to pick up vital league points.

The visitors headed there in positive mood after a fine victory away at Kinnoull during the week.

The Fed kicked off and started brightly with Farquharson forcing a good save from Whitburn ‘keeper West in the fifth minute.

Conditions underfoot were difficult for both sets of players with heavy rainfall throughout.

Murphy had a shot for the home side which went well over in the 12th minute.

It was the home side that went ahead in the 20th minute when DICKOV controlled a throw-in well on his chest before sending a fine shot high into Broughty’s net, with Cormack having no chance.

Both sides were forced into changes in the first half with Whitburn replacing their ‘keeper West with Carlin, and Broughty replacing Burns with Brown.

The Fed’s Cormack was forced into a fine stop to deny the dangerous Thompson in the 40th minute.

Whitburn increased their lead in the 42nd minute when RARITY finished well from six yards, again giving Cormack no chance.

After a decent start where the Fed saw lots of the ball, it was the home side that controlled the game for the remainder of the half and were worthy of their interval lead.

Half-time: Whitburn 2, Broughty Athletic 0.

The visitors started off the second 45 minutes with their lugs dirling and looked much more purposeful from the beginning.

A free kick in the opening minutes by Smith saw no takers for the tap in.

The Fed were really pushing forward, in the knowledge that the next goal was crucial in the contest, and almost got a goal back in the 55th minute when Raffell was sent through, but his shot hit the side netting and the chance gone.

Broughty pulled a goal back in the 66th minute when the Whitburn ‘keeper fouled Raffell inside the box and referee Jamieson awarded a penalty. SMITH made no mistake from the spot.

It really was end-to-end stuff in an excellent game and Whitburn were denied increasing their lead in the 70th minute when Cormack produced a fine save to deny Thompson.

The Fed broke upfield in a fantastic move minutes later, and Farquharson’s cross was met by O’LEARY who finished well from six yards to bring the visitors level.

The home side was always a threat from set pieces and Thompson again just failed to hit the target from a header from a corner kick in the 80th minute.

Dailly found space inside the box and had a great opportunity to put the Fed ahead, although the ball would not quite fall his way and he shot over the bar.

The same player again had a chance almost immediately when Smith played a good ball into the box although again it would just not fall for Dailly and his shot was saved by Carlin then cleared from the danger area.

Both sides had half chances after that but neither side tested the opposing ‘keeper.

East of Scotland Cup

Broughty Athletic 2,

Dundee North End 3

BROUGHTY Athletic entertained Dundee North End on Monday in the quarter finals of the East of Scotland Cup at Whitton Park.

The visitors opened the scoring in the 30th minute when McCOMISKIE finished well from six yards, after poor defensive play from the Fed. Broughty equalised in the 66th minute when O’LEARY hammered home from 25 yards.

The Dokens regained the lead when MUCKERSIE scored from a free kick in the 75 minute but the home side rallied, drawing level in 81 minutes when FARQUHARSON squared the tie with a free kick.

With the game looking like it was heading for penalties it was North End who advanced to the semi-finals when GOWANS headed home from a corner in the last minute.

ACA Sports East Premier League

Broughty Athletic 3,

Glenrothes 3

IN THEIR third match in five days, The Fed welcomed Glenrothes to Whitton Park on Wednesday for a league encounter.

In an incident-packed game, including three penalties and the sending off of Fed ‘keeper Alan Cormack 15 minutes from the end, Broughty gained a point to take their tally to 20 and move them out of the league’s bottom three.

The Fed had held a 3-1 lead, but a late fightback by the Fifers saw the points shared.

An updated league table appears below.

Saturday’s fixture

Tomorrow (Saturday), Broughty Athletic will entertain Armadale Thistle in a league encounter at Whitton Park, with a 2.30 p.m. kick-off.