Glory as 10-man Gowfers clinch Super League place

2111009 SSGG glenrothes carnoustie 'Glenrothes V Carnoustie at Warout Stadium, Glenrothes
2111009 SSGG glenrothes carnoustie 'Glenrothes V Carnoustie at Warout Stadium, Glenrothes

Glenrothes 1,

Carnoustie Panmure 3

AFTER a three-year absence, Carnoustie Panmure will be back in the Super League next season.

They secured promotion from the ACA Sports East Premier League with a 3-1 away victory over Glenrothes at the Warout Stadium on Saturday.

Before the match three teams had a chance of going up along with runaway champions St Andrews United, but two goals from Kevin Cumming and one from Mike McIlravey killed off the Fifers’ hopes.

Manager Ian Gilzean made one change to the side that beat the Glens two weeks earlier. Scott Robertson’s place was taken by Scott Hunter. Bench spots went to Josh Perera, Greg Beattie, Greg Anderson, Mark Matthew and spare ‘keeper Craig Jamieson.

Included in the Glenrothes starting line-up was former Gowfers’ favourite Stevie McAllister, while another, Jonny Kelly, was a home substitute.

The Glens kicked off with a fairly strong wind at their backs, but Carnoustie were first to threaten. After three minutes John Roberts played a good ball through to Cumming, who was fouled by Gibson 35 yards out. Clark sent the free kick to the back edge of the box where CUMMING rose high to head back across the ‘keeper into the far corner of the net, giving the Gowfers a crucial early lead.

Carnoustie came close to doubling their advantage when McBride blasted an attempted clearance against Narey. The ball rebounded towards the Glens’ goal, but Roberts grabbed it in time.

The Gowfers pushed forward and thought they had scored a second in 21 minutes. Cumming made a great run to the bye-line before sending in a cross, knocked home by Gates but the referee’s assistant indicated the ball had gone over the bye-line.

Right on the half-time whistle, Duffy sent a deep cross into the Carnoustie box, but Cumming, back helping his defence, headed clear, then won a free kick for pushing by the Glens’ player.

Half-time: Glenrothes 0, Carnoustie Panmure 1.

Carnoustie were again first on the attack and Gates fired in a low drive, but ‘keeper Roberts got down well.

As the clearance dropped deep into the Gowfers’ half, the ball was played to Thomson, whose fierce drive struck Hunter on the hand. Although he had been unable to get out of the way, Hunter was shown a straight red card for denying a goal-scoring opportunity and the visitors were down to 10 men. DUFFY took the spot kick and fired the ball past McCafferty to level the score with just 48 minutes on the watch.

Three minutes later, Carnoustie made their first change, replacing Narey with Perera.

Glenrothes came more into the game. In 55 minutes Juskowiak intercepted an attempted clearance by Tonner and unleashed a fierce rocket shot, but McCafferty brought off a great save to prevent what had looked a certain goal.

However, just as the Glens were threatening to gain the upper hand, Cumming took a pass from John Roberts and set up MCILRAVEY, who fired the Gowfers back in front in 59 minutes.

Three minutes later, Clark was tripped by Murray just inside the Glenrothes half. Hendry floated the free kick over the Glens’ defence to CUMMING, who headed the ball over the advancing ‘keeper to give the Gowfers a two goal cushion.

In 64 minutes, Cumming set off on another run, only to be body-checked to the ground by Gibson, who was shown the yellow card. Clark took the free kick, but sent the ball high over the bar.

Seven minutes later, Glenrothes came close to pulling a goal back when Duffy pushed a pass through to Juskowiak, whose fierce shot produced another great save from McCafferty, who palmed the ball round his right-hand post for a fruitless corner.

Simpson replaced Murray for Glens. Carnoustie made a second change in 81 minutes with Beattie taking over from the limping McIlravey.

In a late flurry by Glenrothes, a Duffy cross was blocked away by John Roberts. Juskowiak fired towards goal but Hendry was on hand to clear.

On 90 minutes, Buchan was booked for comments made to the referee.

After three minutes of stoppage time, the referee blew for full-time and Carnoustie’s celebrations began.

Glenrothes - Jamie Roberts, Morrison, Buchan, Gibson, McBride, Shaw, Thomson, Duffy, McAllister, Murray (Simpson 72), Juskowiak. Substitutes, not used - A. Clark, Moffat, Kelly, Andrew, Laird.

Carnoustie - McCafferty, Hendry, Tonner, McIlravey (Beattie 81), Narey (Perera 51), John Roberts, B. Clark, Cook, Cumming, Gates, Hunter. Substitutes, not used - Anderson, Matthew, Jamieson (gk).

Referee, K. Maskell, Star, by Markinch.

ACA Sports East Premier League

P W L D F A Pts

St Andrews 22 17 2 3 51 21 54

Carnoustie 22 12 4 6 48 32 42

Broxburn 22 13 7 2 58 35 41

Glenrothes 21 11 7 3 55 37 36

Ballingry 22 9 9 4 40 49 31

Penicuik 20 8 7 5 37 31 29

Broughty 22 7 8 7 44 49 28

Arniston 22 8 11 3 27 41 27

Armadale 21 6 8 7 31 33 25

Kinnoull 22 7 13 2 32 48 23

Whitburn 22 5 14 3 29 48 18

Thornton 22 2 15 5 32 60 11