Good point for Fed at Beechwood

BROUGHTY Athletic were on their travels again on Saturday when they visited Clackmannanshire to face Sauchie Juniors in a Premier Division fixture.

It is an impressive set up at Beechwood Park although the pitch was extremely bobbly and rutted in areas due to the recent spell of dry weather.

The Fed were forced into changes with Marc Brash suspended and late call-offs from Andy Torrance, Barry Myles and Gavin Burns. Three trialists were included in the squad.

The opening exchanges were keenly fought with the home side seeing more possession although not threatening.

The pitch was having a bearing on the game and a Sauchie midfield player landed awkwardly when challenging for the ball in 25 minutes and had to be replaced.

Sauchie were not making their possession count and Ross Lunan almost made them pay in 30 minutes when he turned sharply and tested ‘keeper Dolan from just outside the box.

It was the referee who everyone was talking about with some extremely dubious decisions going against both teams.

Sauchie forced three consecutive corners just before half-time, but the Fed defended well and the danger cleared.

Half-time: Sauchie Juniors 0, Broughty Athletic 0.

Broughty took the lead in 55 minutes when a free kick was well delivered into the box for ROSS LUNAN to place his header beyond the home ‘keeper.

The game became really scrappy with the referee continually blowing his whistle, so there was no real flow to the game.

The home side did create a chance in 66 minutes although Feaks shot over from a good position.

The homesters grabbed the equaliser with 15 minutes left. The ball was kicked long from ‘keeper Dolan and for once the referee did not blow for a clear foul on skipper Lee Bertie who had challenged for the ball. With Bertie lying on the ground clearly in discomfort, the home side took advantage and the ball broke to ALAN COMRIE who finished well from inside the box.

Once Broughty protests had died down Lee Bertie was stretchered off the park.

In what was by no means an overly physical game, players were becoming increasingly frustrated and in quick succession Gary Ogilvie and Kris Brash were shown red cards for second bookable offences.

The Fed were forced to defend deep for the remaining five minutes but coped well and saw out the game to take a deserved point.

Manager’s comments

After the match, a satisfied Kenny Cameron said: “Sauchie are a decent team and that was the first points they have dropped at home this season.

“I felt we showed a hard-working, disciplined performance today and most certainly deserved to take something from the game. We will take great confidence from this result and carry it into this season’s remaining fixtures.”