Gowfers advance in GA Cup

editorial image

AFTER having their previous two fixtures postponed because of the frosty weather, the Gowfers were able to play their first round tie in the North Region/Tayside Region Cup, sponsored by G.A. Engineering, on Saturday.

For the tie, manager Ian Gilzean made only one change to the side that was defeated by Linlithgow Rose, three weeks previously. John Roberts was on from the start, with Kevin Milne dropping to the bench, to join Robert Hendry, Josh Perera, Mike McIlravey and Mark Matthew.

As well as their management team of Ralph Brand and Dougie Craig, three of the Roselea players, goalkeeper Ross McLeod, midfielder Robert Urquhart and striker James Collier, have all worn the Gowfers’ colours.

Carnoustie kicked off and very nearly went ahead when Cumming had the first effort from corner of the box, but his shot was blocked. Two minutes later Montrose broke down the right and Collier crossed into the home box, finding Fletcher, but his shot was easily saved by McCafferty.

From the kick-out, Carnoustie’s Clark burst down the line, but his cross was too strong and went out for a goal kick. Montrose then forced a corner off Cook, but it was wasted when the referee gave a free kick for a foul, by Collier, on keeper McCafferty. Gates was then fouled by Urqhart and, although Cook hit the shot well, it went past for a goal kick.

The Gowfers built up the pressure and were awarded a corner when the ball went out off Anderson, but Montrose ‘keeper McLeod, got up well to hold Clark’s kick. Watson then fired in a great crossfield ball for Cumming to run onto, but Reoch intercepted well to clear the danger.

Watson, himself then went close to opening the scoring with a great 25-yard drive,which McLeod did well to hold at the right-hand post. After all the pressure from Carnoustie, they were nearly caught out when Urquhart fed a good ball through to Whyte, but McCafferty came out bravely to save at his feet.

This woke the homesters up and another great cross from Watson, to the edge of the Montrose box, was fired in by Roberts, but the Carnoustie player saw his shot come back off the bar with keeper McLeod well beaten.

ROBERTS made up for the near miss in 27 minutes, with a great 30-yard shot into the roof of the net, to put Carnoustie one up.

The Gowfers were keen to test the ‘keeper and in 35 minutes Clark took a leaf out of Roberts’ book, firing in a powerful drive from outside the box, which the keeper did well to turn round the post. Clark took the corner short to Narey, who crossed into the box, but Cumming was ruled offside.

Clark then had another 30-yard effort touched over by McLeod and the resultant corner was easily cleared upfield. A good passing move between Gates and Cumming finished with a Watson drive across the goalmouth, but nobody was there to knock it into the net. Watson was then fouled by P. Taylor, and Clark’s short pass to Roberts set up a chance, but his shot went straight to McLeod.

Just on half-time, Gates went very close when he spotted McLeod off his line, but his great long-range effort landed on top of the net, with the ‘keeper scrambling back.

Half-time: Carnoustie Panmure 1, Montrose Roselea 0.

Montrose came close at the start of the second half with a long-range shot by Webster but it went past McCafferty’s right-hand post. Roberts then fouled Whyte 40 yards out but R.Taylor’s kick into the box was dealt with well by Carnoustie’s Tonner.

At the other end, Panmure came close from a Clark corner, but Cumming’s header was just over the bar. In 60 minutes Montrose were awarded a free kick 30 yards out, but, although it was hit powerfully by Webster, it was well off target.

Six minutes later, Carnoustie went two up, through Gates. Cook made a good run down the right and sent in a great cross to Cummings at the back post, but his volley was blocked for a corner. Clark took the kick, again sending it to the back post, where GATES smashed the ball past McLeod.

In 67 minutes Montrose replaced Fletcher with Aitken and a minute later Carnoustie also made a change, with McIlravey coming on for Watson. In 69 minutes R. Taylor was booked for a foul on McIlravey, but Clark’s free kick into the box was easily dealt with by Mustard.

Five minutes later Collier became the second Montrose player to be booked, when he fouled Gates. A minute later, Carnoustie went to sleep, allowing Webster to cut in along the byline and lay the ball back to Whyte in the six-yard box, who had an easy job placing the ball past McCafferty, bringing Montrose back into the game.

Carnoustie then made their second substitution, bringing on Perera in place of Cumming and two minutes later Narey became the first Carnoustie player to go into the book, for a foul on P. Taylor.

In 83 minutes, Montrose replaced R. Taylor with Hood and Carnoustie brought on Milne to replace Clark, who was booked, within a minute, for a foul on Whyte. Montrose then brought on Riach in place of Urquhart. Carnoustie had a chance to get a third in 90 minutes, when a Gates corner was headed out to Milne, but he shot wide. Into stoppage time Robertson was booked for a foul on Mustard.

Carnoustie Panmure: McCafferty, Cook, Narey, Robertson, Millar, Tonner, Cumming (Perera 76), Clark (Milne 83), Watson (McIlravey 68), Roberts, Gates. Substitutes not used: Hendry and Matthew.

Montrose Roselea: McLeod, P. Taylor, R. Taylor (Hood 82), Mustard, Reoch, Whyte, Urquhart (Riach 85), Anderson, Collier, Fletcher (Aitken 67), Webster. Substitutes not used: Rodger, Craig, Brand and Kennedy (GK).

Referee: Mr Gavin Harris, Coupar Angus.

Match Ball sponsor was James Lammond Ltd.

Tomorrow’s match

Tomorrow (Saturday), the Gowfers are again at home when they play host to Camelon Juniors, in the ACA Sports East Super League.

In their last meeting, the Gowfers ended up on the wrong side of a 2-0 scoreline, and will be out for revenge as they try to gain some points, in the attempt to climb away from the foot of the table.

Tomorrow’s tie gets under way at the slightly later time of 2.15 p.m.