Gowfers are back in business

Josh Perera battles for possession in Carnoustie's 3-2 victory over Sauchie.
Josh Perera battles for possession in Carnoustie's 3-2 victory over Sauchie.

Carnoustie Panmure 3, Sauchie Juniors 2

On Saturday the Gowfers welcomed Sauchie Juniors to Laing Park for the third of their McBookie.com East Superleague matches.

The Gowfers finished above the visitors in the table last term, but the Clackmannanshire side did beat them home and away.

Carnoustie came close early on when McCulloch committed a foul on Bews 30 yards out. Bews took the kick himself, but curled it just past the ‘keeper’s right-hand post.

Webster then played a ball through to McIlravey, but the referee had already blown for a free kick to Carnoustie so advantage was lost. A strong drive by Morgan from 25 yards was heading goalwards, but Millar made a great block to turn away the danger.

Cummings then tried a shot from long range, but it was well held by Ferrie. At the other end, Webster slung over a deep cross from the left, but Halliwell rose above everyone to clutch the ball. A long throw by Rennie into the Gowfers’ box was blocked out by Webster, and Cummings, from just outside the box, shot past a crowded goalmouth.

Carroll then had a great chance to put Sauchie ahead when Purdie layed a fine ball across the box, but he fired well past. Carnoustie took the lead in 21 minutes when a long free kick by Bews, to the far post, was knocked back along the six yard box by Perera and MILLAR was on hand to force the ball through the ‘keeper’s legs and into the net.

Bews committed a foul on McCulloch and Rennie’s kick was heading for Cummings head, but Ferrie got there first and punched the ball well clear. In 33 minutes Bews was booked for a foul on Morgan who was also booked for retaliation.

Sauchie equalised five minutes later when a fine cross by Morgan was met at the far post by CARROLL who headed powerfully past Ferrie.

Dailly had a chance to restore the Gowfers’ lead when he burst through the Sauchie defence, but Halliwell made a fine stop from his shot. Carnoustie were under a bit of pressure just on halftime when Myles fouled Cummings on the edge of the box, but Currie’s free-kick was cleared by Black.

Half-time: Carnoustie Panmure 1, Sauchie Juniors 1.

Sauchie started the half well and Cummings had a shot which was blocked at the foot of the post and then Kiczynski made a run down the left and crossed, but it was easily dealt with by Ferrie.

Carnoustie again came close when Webster put in a fine cross from the left, but Halliwell punched it clear just as it reached Dailly’s head.

Carnoustie restored their lead in 52 minutes when a low cross from McIlravey, on the right, was knocked out to WEBSTER who hit a great shot, from the angle of the box, right across the ‘keeper and into the roof of the net.

Bews committed a foul on Rennie 40 yards out.

lContined on page 53

But the free kick by Kiczynski was easily held by Ferrie. Sauchie went close to levelling things again when Purdie’s cross was met by Morgan, but his shot went right across the face of the goal with nobody able to get on the end of it. In 67 minutes Roberts was booked for a foul on McCulloch.

Carnoustie kept looking for a clincher and there was an almighty scramble in Sauchie’s box, from a Webster corner, but Burn managed to clear the danger.

In 70 minutes Sauchie made their first change when Kiczynski was replaced by Carrigan and two minutes later they put Bonar on in place of Purdie. Sauchie threw everything at Carnoustie and were nearly rewarded when a Carroll corner was headed just past by McCulloch and then Carrol himself almost scored when he got on to a ball over the Gowfers’ defence, but Ferrie brought off a great save.

In 75 minutes McCulloch required treatment for a leg knock and had to retire to be replaced by King. The Sauchie pressure nearly paid off when Bonar burst through onto a long ball by Comrie, but he fired over from the edge of the box.

After soaking up all the pressure, Carnoustie finally got the goal they were seeking, in 78 minutes, when Bews put Webster away up the left and his perfect cross was hammered past Halliwell, by MCILRAVEY, from 15 yards.

The game erupted in 80 minutes when a dispute saw Comrie shown a straight red card and Roberts shown a second yellow and so was off as well with Rennie also going into the book. Dailly won the chase for a long ball by Black and passed to McIlravey, but the Gowfers’ man shot past.

In 82 minutes Perera was replaced by L. Scott, but four minutes later he was red-carded after a tangle with Burn.

In 88 minutes Sauchie pulled a goal back when a cross by Carroll, into the box, fell kindly for CARRIGAN and he shot past Ferrie from close in. They almost equalised when Cummings got right through, but shot past when it looked easier to score. The referee played about 10 minutes extra with all the bookings and red cards, but Carnoustie held out for the victory, but not before Millar was booked for a foul on Morgan.

Teams: Carnoustie Panmure - Ferrie, Cook, Myles, Millar, Roberts, Bews, Webster, Black, Perera (L. Scott 82), Dailly, McIlravey. Substitutes not used: Narey, M. Scott, Murison (T) and Allardyce (T GK).

Sauchie Juniors - Halliwell, Morrison, Kiczynski (Carrigan 70), Rennie, Burn, Purdie (Bonar 72), Comrie, McCulloch (King 75), Morgan, Cummings, Carroll. Substitutes not used. Tully and Jackson (GK).

Referee: Mr Mike Roncone, Monifieth.

Match-ball sponsor: Baillies Solicitors.

Tomorrow’s match

Tomorrow (Saturday), the Gowfers are back on the road, heading this time to Recreation Park to meet St Andrews United in the McBookie.com East Superleague.

This match last term saw the sides share the points in a 2-2 draw and with neither club having made the best of starts this season, this is sure to be another tough encounter. Kick-off is again scheduled for 2.30 p.m.