Gowfers back in bottom spot

CARNOUSTIE Panmure made the short trip to Thomson Park on Saturday to meet Lochee United in their last away game of the season in the ACA Sports East Super League.

Team captain Robert Hendry and Kevin Cumming were both unavailable, and Calum Watson was out with a rib injury so manager Ian Gilzean was forced into making several changes. Steven Narey was on at right-back, Stuart Ferguson made his first competitive start of the season and Scott Robertson was back after his ankle injury.

Bench spots went to Mike McIlravey, Mark Matthew, Andy Cowan and Alan McSkimming.

The Gowfers kicked off, playing up the slope and were immediately on the attack when Clark played the ball into the Lochee box, but a timely interception by Hay cleared the danger. Voigt picked up the ball and made a good run forward but Roberts put in a saving tackle and cleared the danger from the Carnoustie box.

In five minutes, Narey fed the ball through to Clark who jinked his way past Hay then won a corner off Bannon. Clark took the kick himself, but when the ball came over, Vanderdyle rose to take it cleanly.

A minute later the Gowfers again attacked with S. Robertson linking with Gates who laid the ball back to Perera, but his shot was blocked away by Cargill. Carnoustie had a half-chance to open their account when Clark took a pass from Gates and fired in a low shot which Vanderdyle blocked out for a corner. Clark took the kick and found Narey at the back post who headed it down to Ferguson, but he shot over the bar.

Six minutes later Gates played a good ball into the Lochee box to Clark, but he controlled the ball with his hand and a free kick was awarded. From the ‘keeper’s kick the ball was picked up by Cargill who crossed it to Gallacher, but he headed it straight at Jamieson.

From the Carnoustie ‘keeper’s kick-out, Cook picked it up and laid it back to Narey who sent it into the Lochee box looking for Perera, but he put too much power on the kick for the Carnoustie man to get a vital touch. Again the Gowfers pushed forward, this time with Cook taking the ball down the line and sending in a deep cross, but again there was too much power in the kick and Hay cleared it downfield.

At the other end Gallacher was fouled by Ferguson out by the corner flag but when C. Robertson sent the free kick into the box, McGuire wasted the chance by heading over the bar. In 26 minutes it was Carnoustie’s turn to be awarded a free kick when Gates was tripped by Browne. Gates took the kick himself, trying to find Clark, but a great header by Hay cleared the danger.

In 29 minutes Grant became the first player to be booked when he chopped down Clark. Narey took the resultant free kick but all Carnoustie got for the effort was a throw-in. Two minutes later Clark’s attempted cross was deflected out for a corner, which was put behind for a second corner. This time the kick found Clark at the back post who headed it back across, but McGuire stepped in to clear the ball.

The Gowfers were then awarded a free kick when Narey was fouled by Voigt just outside their box. Jamieson took the kick and put it into the Lochee box, finding Perera, but he sent his header wide.

Again the Gowfers attacked and Roberts played a good ball in to Perera, who chested it down to Clark, but his shot cannoned off Bannon and out for a throw-in. Narey tried to find Perera with his throw, but again Hay was on hand to clear the ball. It was picked up by C. Robertson who played it in to Voigt, but he couldn’t control it and Jamieson was able to come off his line to claim it.

Right on the whistle the home side was awarded a free kick on the edge of the box when Ferguson fouled Lawson. C. Robertson took the kick and, although he got it up and over the wall, it also went over the bar.

Half-time: Lochee United 0, Carnoustie Panmure 0.

The home side got the second half under way and Voigt picked up the ball, strode forward and hit a low drive which was well saved by Jamieson. In 48 minutes United won a corner off Ferguson which C. Robertson dropped right into the Gowfer’s goalmouth, but S. Robertson got up well to head powerfully away. It dropped to Bannon some 40 yards out and he hit a powerful volley back in, but it was just too high and sailed over the bar.

A minute later Voigt chased after a long ball from McGuire and Jamieson came out to kick clear, but the ball cannoned off the United forward and the ‘keeper only just got it clear at the second attempt.

In 50 minutes the Gowfers took the lead after Ferguson played a good ball through to GATES. He jinked his way past two defenders and calmly stroked the ball past Vanderdyle and into the net.

FROM the restart the home side surged upfield and Voigt tried to take the ball into the Carnoustie box, but a great tackle by Roberts halted his run.

Back came Lochee and Bannon sent in a deep cross to the back post looking for Voigt, but Ferguson got there first and turned it behind for a corner.

C. Robertson took the kick which Cook managed to clear, but only as far as Browne who fired it back in. This time it was Tonner who got his head to it, but again it dropped to a Lochee player and although Grant got his shot off, it hit Voigt and went behind.

In 54 minutes Perera, who had gone down injured a minute before and had required treatment, was replaced by McIlravey and Lochee also made a change with Grant being replaced by Blackwood. The home side kept up the pressure, looking to get back on level terms. A C. Robertson cross was knocked behind by Millar, but the same player sent in his kick and found the unmarked Hay. Again the header went straight to Jamieson who had no trouble gathering the ball.

On the hour mark C. Robertson found his way into the referee’s book after making too many comments when he was fouled by S. Robertson. Bannon took the free-kick and found Lawson but a great tackle from Narey stopped him in his tracks.

In 65 minutes Lochee won a corner which C. Robertson took, finding Hay. Again, his header was gathered cleanly by Jamieson. Four minutes later the home side drew level after a ball into the Gowfer’s box was cleared out, but only as far as BLACKWOOD who took a couple of steps and hammered the ball past Jamieson into the bottom corner of the net.

In 75 minutes the Gowfers nearly regained the lead after McIlravey played the ball through to Gates, who fired in a low shot, but Vanderdyle got down to save at the base of his right-hand post. A minute later, Gates sent in a great cross to Cook but Hay got to it first and cleared to safety.

Carnoustie had a strong penalty claim ignored after a United defender appeared to handle the ball in the box and Ferguson found his way into the book for his protests.

After coming close to scoring twice, the Gowfers were stunned when Lochee took the lead. Blackwood picked out VOIGT with a cross and he headed home from close range.

In 82 minutes the visitors made their second change with Narey making way for Cowan. The home side should have increased their lead two minutes later when Voigt sent in a cross which was knocked down by Gallacher, but Blackwood blasted the ball high over the bar.

Carnoustie nearly levelled the game in stoppage time when Gates played the ball into the Lochee box. It fell to McIlravey who controlled it well, turned his marker then flicked in a shot only to see the ball come off the outside of the post and be cleared away.

News that fellow strugglers Musselburgh Athletic had won at Bo’ness meant that the Gowfers were back at the bottom of the table, still needing three points from their last two games to ensure Super League survival.


Lochee United: Vanderdyle, Browne (O’Leary 70), Bannon, Hay, McGuire, Gallacher, Grant (Blackwood 58), Cargill, C. Robertson, Voigt, Lawson. Substitutes not used: Krobot, Irons, Kirk, Richardson, Buttar (GK).

Carnoustie Panmure: Jamieson, Narey (Cowan 82), Ferguson, Millar, Tonner, Roberts, Cook,S. Robertson, Perera (McIlravey 58), Clark, Gates. Substitutes not used: Matthew, McSkimming.

Referee: Miss Lorraine Clark, Thornton, Fife.

Tomorrow’s match

With no game programmed for them tomorrow, Saturday, the Gowfers have a week off before they meet Bo’ness United on May 19 at Laing Park as they attempt to get the three points required to stave off relegation to the Premier league.

ACA Sports East Super League

P W L D F A Pts

Hill of Beath 18 11 3 4 38 19 37

Linlithgow 20 10 5 5 42 32 35

Bonnyrigg 17 10 2 4 43 22 34

Bo’ness 18 7 6 5 24 24 26

Kelty 19 7 7 5 24 25 26

Camelon 20 7 9 4 30 29 25

Lochee 19 7 9 3 31 34 24

St Andrews Utd 20 6 10 4 28 40 22

Bathgate 20 5 9 6 27 48 21

Musselburgh Ath19 5 10 4 38 45 19

Carnoustie Pan 18 4 8 6 31 38 18