Gowfers complete ‘The Great Escape!’

editorial image

ON SATURDAY Carnoustie Panmure played host to last season’s champions, Bo’ness United, for their penultimate game in the ACA Sports East Super League.

For the tie, manager Ian Gilzean made several changes to the side that lost to Lochee United in their previous game. With goalkeeper John McCafferty out injured and his deputy, Craig Jamieson unavailable, ‘Gillie’ was forced to raid the amateur ranks, and so drafted in Craig Miller from the Fire Brigade.

Robert Hendry was available again and Calum Watson had recovered from his rib injury, so both were on from the start, with Brian Clark and John Roberts, both not fully fit, dropping to the bench where they were joined by Kevin Cumming, Andy Cowan, Alan McSkimming and Mark Matthew.

Carnoustie kicked off into a strong wind and soon lost the ball to Hay who fed it through to Stewart, but he had strayed into an offside position. Stewart was then put through by Walker, but again the linesman’s flag went up for offside.

In 10 minutes Perera went down in a heap and after treatment was carried off to be replaced by Cumming. Carnoustie finally managed to get into the Bo’ness half and Duffy fouled Gates out on the left. Gates took the free kick and found Robertson at the far post, but his drive was well past.

At the other end, a high ball into the box by Duffy was met by Gibb, but he headed straight at goalkeeper Millar. Gibb then fouled Gates, who took the free kick into the box, but it was punted up the park to Watt who was in acres of space, but from 35 yards he fired past.

Stewart then forced a corner off Tonner, but Hamilton’s kick was headed clear by Ferguson. Bo’ness kept up the pressure and D. Millar fouled Walker in a good position 30 yards out, but although Hamilton kept it low and got it round the wall, the Carnoustie ‘keeper held it safely on the line.

A long ball by Narey was flicked on by Robertson, to Watson, but he was just offside. Hendry was forced to concede a corner on the left which was taken by Hamilton, but Stewart headed well over.

Bo’ness then had a great chance when a long ball through found Watt, but Tonner got back to make a great saving tackle.

In 32 minutes Cook was fouled by Gibb who became the first booking of the day. Gates then won a corner which was met by Cook, but his strong header was just past the post.

Six minutes later a long-range drive by Walker was turned round the post by ‘keeper Millar, with a great save and the resultant corner was headed strongly up the park to safety by Tonner. More pressure from Bo’ness saw Donnelly pick up a loose ball outside the box, but Ferguson made a fine job of blocking his shot.

In 40 minutes Duffy required treatment for a leg knock, but was able to carry on. A deep cross in by Hamilton put Carnoustie under pressure, but again ‘keeper Millar did well, holding the ball under the bar. A slack headed pass-back by D. Millar resulted in a corner which was taken by Hamilton, but Hendry was on hand to clear upfield and the half time whistle went.

Half time; Carnoustie Panmure 0, Bo’ness United 0.

Carnoustie now had the wind advantage and, at the start of the second half, a long ball through had Watson chasing with Hunter. There were loud appeals for a penalty when Watson seemed to be pulled back by Hunter in the box, but the referee waved away the claims. A good Gates cross was headed out for a corner by Hay, but Cook’s kick was easily held by the ‘keeper.

Gates then fired in another cross which was met by Cumming, but went past without worrying the ‘keeper. Another corner by Gates was punched out by the ‘keeper to D. Millar on the edge of the box, but he blasted wildly over the bar. Bo’ness finally managed to make some progress into Carnoustie’s half and Walker crossed for Watt, but he headed the ball past the post.

In 64 minutes Carnoustie’s pressure finally paid off and the deadlock was broken when Cumming won a corner off Bonar. The kick was taken by Gates to the near post and HAMILTON, under pressure from Watson knocked the ball into his own net. A minute later Stewart was replaced by Gribben.

Carnoustie should have gone further ahead when Gates flighted in another great cross which Watson headed over from six yards with Cook waiting, all on his own, just behind him, ready to pop it into the empty net. Watson was then fouled 25 yards out by Gibb, with the free kick taken by Gates being deflected off the defensive wall, for a corner, which was also taken by Gates, but came to nothing.

Soon after, Cumming was fouled by Bonar on halfway, but D. Millar’s kick into the Bo’ness box was cleared by Duffy. In 83 minutes Gribben was booked for dissent. Gribben then did something positive with a shot from the corner of the box, but it was well held by the ‘keeper Millar.

At the other end Robertson was fouled by Gibb out on the left and Ferguson’s free kick landed at the feet of Gates, but his shot was well over the bar. In 90 minutes Hendry was booked for a foul on Hay. The kick was taken by Walker, but Narey got the last kick of the ball to clear, and the final whistle went.


Carnoustie Panmure: C. Millar (T), Narey, Ferguson, Tonner, D. Millar, Hendry, Cook, Robertson, Perera (Cumming 10), Gates, Watson. Substitutes not used: Clark, Roberts, Cowan, McSkimming and Matthew.

Bo’ness United: Allan, Duffy, Bonar, Gibb, Hunter, Donnelly, Walker, Hay, Stewart (Gribben 65), Watt, Hamilton. Substitutes not used: Reilly, Wilson (T) and Christie.

Tomorrow’s match

For their last game of the season, the Gowfers are again on home soil, playing host this time to Championship favourites, Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic in the ACA Sports East Super League.

With the Lothians side two points and five goals better off than the only other title contenders, Hill of Beath, the Rose will be keen to clinch it here. However, when the sides last met, back in September, they fought out a 0-0 draw at New Dundas Park, and will not have everything their own way tomorrow. Kick-off is again Scheduled for 2.30 p.m.

ACA Sports East Super League Results: Carnoustie Panmure 1, Bo’ness United 0, Hill of Beath v Musselburgh, postponed.

ACA Sports East Super League

P W L D F A Pts

Bonnyrigg Rose 19 12 3 4 47 23 40

Hill of Beath 19 11 3 5 39 20 38

Linlithgow Rose 20 10 5 5 42 32 35

Bo’ness United 20 7 7 6 25 26 27

Kelty Hearts 20 7 8 5 24 26 26

Camelon 20 7 9 4 30 29 25

Lochee United 20 7 10 3 33 37 24

St Andrews United 20 6 10 4 28 40 22

Carnoustie Panmure 19 5 8 6 32 38 21

Bathgate Thistle 20 5 9 6 27 48 21

Musselburgh Athletic 19 5 10 4 38 45 19