Gowfers continue to improve as new season looms

Kevin Milne has a shot on goal during Saturday's friendly against Deveronvale.
Kevin Milne has a shot on goal during Saturday's friendly against Deveronvale.

Carnoustie Panmure 1, Deveronvale 2

Carnoustie Panmure welcomed Highland League side, Deveronvale, to Laing Park on Saturday for the third of their pre-season matches.

Gowfers' assistant manager Stuart Ferguson crosses into the box during Saturday's game against Deveronvale at Laing Park.

Gowfers' assistant manager Stuart Ferguson crosses into the box during Saturday's game against Deveronvale at Laing Park.

Carnoustie kicked off, but quickly lost possesion and an Adams cross was met by Urquhart in the box, but Ferrie managed to block his effort to safety.

Carnoustie finally won a corner and Webster’s kick was only cleared out to Roberts, but his 30-yard effort went past. They almost went ahead when Roberts sent McIlravey up the right and his low cross was met by Milne, but the ‘keeper managed to block his effort with his legs.

In 15 minutes Carnoustie went behind when a corner on the right, by Urquhart, was headed goalwards by Fraser and although Roberts managed to head the ball off the underside of the bar, it fell kindly for FRASER and he headed home from close range.

Black was fouled on the edge of the box by Urquhart, but Webster’s kick went over the wall and past the post. Webster then fed a pass through to Milne, but he had strayed offside.

‘Vale had a chance when a free-kick by Cowie from 40 yards out was met by Simpson, but his header was straight at Ferrie. They kept up the pressure and another corner by Cowie was headed narrowly past by Fraser.

Roberts fouled Cowie on the halfway line and was reprimanded by the referee. The free kick was taken by Henry, but Urquhart gave away a foul by pushing in the box.

A Milne cross was blocked for a corner and Webster’s kick was cleared back to him, but he shot wildly past. ‘Vale almost went further ahead just on half time when M. Charlesworth burst through, but Ferrie came out bravely to save at his feet. 

Half-time: Carnoustie Panmure 0, Deveronvale 1.

The visitors made three changes for the second half, replacing Henry, Cowie and Urquhart with Rae, Aitken and Rodgers. Ferrie was called into action when G. Charlesworth tried a snap shot from the edge of the box, but it was easily held by the ‘keeper who also collected a low shot by Rennie.

In 50 minutes Carnoustie were robbed of the services of Robertson when he went down in a heap and had to be replaced by Myles. When play resumed M. Charlesworth fired in a fierce shot from the edge of the box but Ferrie made a great save to keep ‘Vale’s lead to one.

It only lasted five minutes, however, when the Highlanders made a sweeping move and G. Charlesworth laid the ball into the edge of the box where M. CHARLESWORTH fired high into the net giving Ferrie no chance.

On the hour mark, Milne was replaced by Dailly and Webster by M. Scott. The visitors then replaced S. Scott with Duncan. Dailly fed a good ball out to M. Scott but he shot over from the edge of the box and at the other end a cross by Rae was met by Duncan, but his powerful header brought a super save from Ferrie.

Carnoustie’s Cook, on a rare trip upfield, got on the end of a McIlravey cross, but shot over. In 75 minutes ‘Vale replaced ‘keeper McConnachie with Fyfe and four minutes later the Gowfers replaced Roberts with Bews.

Carnoustie kept plugging away and were rewarded in 84 minutes when McIlravey was fouled by Rae out on the left. The free kick was taken by Bews and was met by PERERA who rose well to send a glancing header past Fyfe.

Carnoustie kept pressing for the equalizer, but time was against them.


Carnoustie Panmure: Ferrie, Cook, Ferguson, Millar, Robertson (Myles 50), Roberts (Bews 79), Webster (M. Scott 60), Black, Perera, Milne (Dailly 60), McIlravey. Substitutes not used: Narey, L. Scott, Macpherson (GK) and Allardyce (T GK).

Deveronvale: McConnachie (Fyfe 75), Rennie, Adams, Henry (Rae 45), Fraser, Cowie (Aitken 45), G. Charlesworth, Urquhart (Rodgers 45) S. Scott (Duncan 60), M. Charlesworth, Simpson. All substitutes used.

On Monday evening the Gowfers travelled along the coast to Broughty Ferry to play Broughty Athletic in a friendly and recorded a convincing 4-0 victory.

Gowfers overwhelm Broughty

Broughty Athletic 0, Carnoustie Panmure 4

On Monday evening Carnoustie Panmure travelled the short distance along the coast to play Broughty Athletic in a pre-season friendly.

Carnoustie had the first effort on goal, but Milne’s effort was blocked by Broughty ‘keeper Burns. A miskick by the ‘keeper gave Dailly a chance from an acute angle, but his shot hit the foot of the post

Half-time: Broughty Athletic 0, Carnoustie Panmure 0.

Carnoustie made a great start to the second half and went ahead in 47 minutes when a shot from M. Scott, from the edge of the box, was blocked out to ROBERTS. He fired across the ‘keeper and into the net from 12 yards.

Broughty’s Neave then had a shot from the edge of the box, but it was high and went over the bar. They then made three substitutions, but things only got worse for them in 57 minutes when M. Scott fed a long ball through to MILNE who used his strength to out hustle Kohler and fire the ball into the ‘keeper’s right-hand corner.

Broughty made another couple of changes, but this didn’t stop the Gowfers going further ahead in 62 minutes when M. Scott fired in a low shot from 20 yards which Burns failed to hold allowing DAILLY to tap the ball home.

Carnoustie then made their first changes in 74 minutes with Milne and Black making way for McIlravey and Perera.

In 80 minutes L. Scott replaced brother M. Scott and soon after Broughty came close when Kelly burst through, rounded the advancing Ferrie, who forced him wide, but his effort across goal was cleared by Myles.

Carnoustie made it four in 85 minutes when Allan made a bad pass across the edge of his own box and McILRAVEY intercepted and shot past Burns.


Broughty Athletic: Burns, Ramsay, Cameron, Lunan, Kohler, Timmons,K. Brash, M. Brash, Kelly O’Leary, Neave. Substitutes all played. Cormack, Donaldson, McLeod, Allan and Fraser.

Carnoustie Panmure: Ferrie, Narey, Ferguson, Millar, Myles, Bews, M. Scott, Black (McIlravey 74), Dailly, Milne (Perera 74), Roberts. Substitutes not used: Cook and Macpherson (GK).

Tomorrow’s match

Tomorrow (Saturday) the Gowfers welcome Edinburgh City FC to Laing Park.

The Edinburgh side, which plays in the East of Scotland Senior League, was last at Laing Park in 2004, with the Gowfers winning 4-2. This will be a 2.30 p.m. kick-off.