Gowfers’ Cup replay abandoned

editorial image

Carnoustie Panmure welcomed Maryhill Juniors to Laing Park on Saturday for a replay of their second round Scottish Junior Cup tie.

However, it was to no avail as heavy rain made the pitch unplayable and referee Ross McIntyre abandoned the match after half-time, despite the strenuous efforts of Gowfers’ officials to clear the standing water.

Manager Alan McSkimming made several changes to the side that had drawn the previous Saturday, bringing Millar, Dailly and M. Scott into the starting 11 with bench spots going to Buggins, Perera, Bews, Myles and Ferrie.

Conditions were poor, but, after a lot of the committee spiking and sweeping the water off the park, the referee decided the game could go ahead, 10 minutes later than scheduled.

The Gowfers kicked off and gave a free kick away on the half way line, but the kick, taken by Wells, was too strong and carried out on the powerful wind.

A corner on the right by Webster was met by Millar, but the ‘keeper made a fine save from his header and at the other end a corner on the left by O’Donnell caused a bit of panic in the swirling wind, but Macpherson managed to palm the ball out and Robertson completed the clearance.

In 27 minutes Carnoustie took the lead when Milne crossed for Dailly  to shoot, and the ball took a deflection off LUNDIE to beat his own ‘keeper.

Then a Webster corner caused a big scramble in the Maryhill box, but Banks managed to get the ball clear. The rain was still falling heavily and conditions getting worse with the ball not rolling along the ground.

Webster tried a long range shot, but it was too high and in 35 minutes Maryhill equalised, when a ball in from the left, by O’Donnell was swept home by WELLS from close in.

Webster then tried a snap shot, but Baker turned it round for a corner and the Webster kick was cleared by Wilson.

Half-time: Carnoustie Panmure 1, Maryhill Juniors 1.

The referee had the committee out working on the park during the interval and after a few attempts to bounce the ball and play it along the surface it was obvious that conditions were a lot worse than when the had game started and he called the game off.


Carnoustie Panmure: Macpherson, Cook, Millar, Roberts, Robertson, L. Scott, Webster, Black, Dailly, Milne, M. Scott. Substitutes not used: Buggins, Perera, Bews, Myles and Ferrie (GK).

Maryhill Juniors: Baker, Littler, Wells, Lundie, Banks, Callander, Wilson, Ferguson, Paton, O’Donnell, Mason. Substitutes not used – Murray, Atkin and Begg.

Referee: Mr Ross McIntyre, Dundee.

Matchball sponsor: G.L. Residential, Dundee.

Tomorrow’s match

After 1-1 stalemate in Glasgow and the abandonment at half time of Saturday’s game due to the weather conditions, tomorrow, (Saturday), the Gowfers have it all to do again, when they welcome Maryhill Junioirs to Laing Park for a replay of their second round Scottish Junior Cup tie.

Should the teams still be level after 90 minutes, it will be straight to penalty kicks to decide the winner. This will again be a 2 p.m. kick-off.

McBookie.com East


P W L D F A Pts

Newtongrange 11 9 1 1 27 7 28

Linlithgow 8 7 0 1 21 6 22

Bo’ness Utd 8 7 1 0 24 7 21

Sauchie 10 6 4 0 22 11 18

Camelon 9 5 1 1 11 7 18

Mussel’ Ath 11 5 4 2 20 19 17

Broxburn Ath 11 5 4 2 16 21 17

Bonnyrigg 9 4 1 4 17 9 16

Hill of Beath 11 4 4 3 25 20 15

Carn Panmure 9 4 4 1 14 18 13

Kelty Hearts 11 1 4 6 14 23 9

Armadale Th 10 2 6 2 12 13 8

Lochee Utd 10 2 8 0 15 25 6

St And Utd 10 1 6 3 10 23 6

Ballingry Rvrs 11 1 8 2 10 31 5

Tayport 9 0 7 2 7 21 2