Gowfers’ Emirates Cup quest ends in St Andrews

CARNOUSTIE Panmure resumed their Emirates Scottish Cup quest on Saturday with a trip to Recreation Park to meet St Andrews United in a third round tie.

Manager Ian Gilzean made one personnel change and several positional changes. Steven Cook was on from the start, with Mark Matthew joining the list of injured players. Bench spots went to John Tonner, Shaun McLaren, Kevin Cumming and Mike McIlravey.

The Gowfers kicked off on a very heavy pitch and with a very strong wind blowing. Perera played the ball through to Milne, but a timely interception, by Wilson cleared the danger.

The homesters came close in five minutes when Fotheringham sent the ball through to Sutherland who fired in a fierce, low drive, which McCafferty did well to save at the base of the post. The Saints then set up another attack, with McCrae sending in a cross looking for Sutherland, but another good interception, this time by Bell, got the ball clear.

In 13 minutes Carnoustie edged ahead from the penalty spot. After some clever play, between Milne, Cook and Clark, and a good cross into the box, Perera was flattened by Wilson giving the referee no option but to point to the spot. Wilson was also yellow carded. GATES took the kick and hammered the ball into the back of the net, giving Bennett no chance.

Two minutes later, Roberts played a good ball through to Perera, but Bennett rushed off his line to clear before the Carnoustie man could get his shot off. The Gowfers then got a free- kick some 30 yards out when Roberts was fouled by Buchan. The ball, fired in by Clark, was fumbled by the ‘keeper, but he managed to grab it at the second attempt before a visiting player could get there.

Saints were awarded a corner after a low shot from Fotheringham was knocked behind by Clark. McMullan took the flag kick and found Sutherland, who powered in a good header but McCafferty brought off a great save.

In 24 minutes the home side levelled the tie when Patrick picked up the ball and drove into the box. After he had gone four yards past Cook he fell to the ground. To the amazement of the Carnoustie players and support, the referee awarded a penalty, which FOTHERINGHAM fired home.

Five minutes later Gibb became the second home player to be booked after he brought down Perera.

In 36 minutes the home side came close to going in front with a rocket shot from Sutherland, but a brilliant save by McCafferty kept the score level. As the half drew to a close, the Gowfers were again on the attack, with Robertson playing a long ball forward for Cook to chase, but again Bennett rushed off his line to clear the danger.

Half-time: St Andrews United 1, Carnoustie Panmure 1.

Two minutes after the restart Gates was fouled by Wilson and Milne sent a great ball into the box which Fotheringham did well to clear. A long throw-in from Patrick, into the Gowfers box, wasn’t cleared and landed at the feet of Sutherland but his shot went just wide of McCafferty’s right-hand post.

A minute later, the Saints went ahead through BUCHAN who cut inside and drove the ball past McCafferty and into the bottom corner of the net. The visitors then replaced Milne with Cumming. Gates made a surging run upfield, cut inside and fired the ball across the face of the home goal, but the onrushing Cumming just failed to get a touch.

From the goal-kick, the ball was played through to SUTHERLAND who drilled the ball past McCafferty to give his side a two-goal cushion. The Saints then had another half-chance when Fotheringham sent Sutherland away, but his shot was wide.

In 67 minutes, after Bell had been cautioned for a pull on McInnes, Fotheringham sent the free-kick to the back post, where McMullan laid it off to Sutherland, but again he put his shot wide of the mark. At this point the Gowfers sent Tonner on for Bell.

In 73 minutes, Perera was shown a yellow card for bringing down McInnes just outside the box, but Fotheringham’s free-kick went high over the bar. Nine minutes from the end Cumming made a great run forward to get on to a Hendry through-ball but his touch let him down and Wison made a timely interception.

Two minutes later the home side made their first change with Suttie taking over from McInnes. The Gowfers then had a good spell, pressing forward and winning two corners, but great clearances by Fotheringham denied the visitors.

In 87 minutes the Saints made another change, taking off Dignan, and putting Tulleth on in his place. They then had a half-chance when Suttie laid the ball back to Wilson who crossed to Buchan, but McCafferty got down well to save his shot.

In stoppage time the home side replaced Sutherland with Porteus. Carnoustie finished the game on the attack when Millar sent Gates away up the left, but his deep cross was well taken by Bennett who cleared the ball upfield to bring the game to a close.


St Andrews United: Bennett, Wilson, Gibb, Fotheringham, McMullan, Patrick, Buchan, Sutherland, (Porteus 89), McCrae, Dignan (Tulleth 86), McInnes (Suttie 83). Substitutes not used; Brash, Farquharson, Ramsay and Sloan (gk).

Carnoustie Panmure: McCafferty, Robertson, Bell (Tonner 69), Hendry, Millar, Roberts, Cook, Clark, Perera, Milne (Cumming 54), Gates. Substitutes not used; Mclaren and McIlravey.

Referee: Mr. Ross McIntyre, Dundee.

Tomorrow’s match

Tomorrow (Saturday), the Gowfers are on the road again, travelling to Creamery Park to meet Bathgate Thistle in the ACA Sports East Super League. The last three meetings between the two sides have ended all square, so tomorrow’s match promises to be another tough tie. Kick-off is at 1.45 p.m.