Gowfers exit cup

editorial image

Carnoustie Panmure 0. FC Stoneywood 0

FC Stoneywood won 4-1 on penalties

CARNOUSTIE Panmure had a brief rest from trying to collect league points on Saturday when they welcomed North Region Super League side FC Stoneywood to Laing Park for a quarter-final tie in the GA Engineering Cup.

Before a ball was kicked, the Gowfers were dealt a massive blow when stand-in ‘keeper Craig Jamieson, signed to deputise for regular man John McCafferty, also called off and manager Ian Gilzean had to play outfield player Josh Perera between the sticks.

The Gowfers kicked off and went straight up the field, forcing a corner off Ogston. McIlravey’s short flag kick was knocked into the box by Roberts to Gates who lobbed the ball over the ‘keeper and into the net, but he was in an offside position.

Watson made a great cross-field pass to Gates, but the visitors’ ‘keeper managed to make a good blocking save with his legs to clear the danger.

McIlravey was then sent through with a good pass from Roberts, but shot into the side net from a tight angle. Robertson put the homesters under pressure when he fouled McCechnie on the halfway line and Ogston sent the ball into the box. However, Robertson redeemed himself with a strong clearance up the park.

The visitors pressed forward and R. Goodbrand picked up a loose ball midway in the home half, but his drive was well over the bar. Half-time: Carnoustie Panmure 0, FC Stoneywood 0.

From the kick-off McIlravey fouled R. Goodbrand 35 yards out, but although Cromer managed to get his kick over the defensive wall, it was also over the bar.

In 49 minutes, Ogston was booked for dissent and a minute later the visitors had a second player shown yellow when Farmer was also booked for dissent.

In 57 minutes Millar became the first home booking when he fouled Farmer, but Rintoul’s kick into the box was headed clear by Robertson.

The visitors finally had a go at goal when Stevenson broke through the defence, but his weak shot was straight at Perera. In 60 minutes the Gowfer made a change with Matthew being replaced by Tonner and in 64 minutes R. Goodbrand became the third Stoneywood player to go into the referee’s book for a foul on Cook.

In 68 minutes Tonner picked up Carnoustie’s second booking for a foul on Stevenson.

In 77 minutes Clark and Millar were replaced by Narey and Johnson. Metelski fouled Watson, but Tonner’s free-kick into the box was cleared by Brown with a strong header. Watson was fouled again, this time by Rintoul, 40 yards out, but this time Narey’s kick was cleared by Strachan.

Carnoustie’s Roberts then had a chance when he picked up a loose ball outside the box, but he shot narrowly past. In 85 minutes the visitors picked up another booking when Brown had his name taken for a foul on Watson.

In 87 minutes McCechnie was replaced by Skinner, then Farmer had a half chance when he picked up a loose ball, but his attempted lob from outside the box was too high.

In the final minutes, Carnoustie’s McIlravey had two chances to win the tie but his accuracy let him down.

As the tie was level after 90 minutes, it was decided by a penalty shoot-out. The visitors won the toss, electing to go first with STEVENSON making no mistake and putting his side in front.

Gates took the first for Carnoustie but S. Goodbrand made a good stop, blocking the ball away with his feet. Next up was R. GOODBRAND who fired his kick into the net as did McILRAVEY for the Gowfers. CROMER took Stoneywood’s third and gave Perera no chance and when the ‘keeper beat Watson’s attempt away, things looked ominous for the Gowfers. SKINNER took the visitor’s fourth and when he also scored, Carnoustie were out.


Carnoustie Panmure: Perera, Cook, Hendry, Robertson, Millar (Johnson 77), Matthew (Tonner 60), McIlravey, Clark (Narey 77), Watson, Roberts, Gates. Substitutes not used: McSkimming and Cowan.

FC Stoneywood: S. Goodbrand, Ogston, Metelski, Strachan, Brown, Rintoul, R. Goodbrand, Cromer, McCechnie (Skinner 87), Stevenson, Farmer. Substitutes not used: Lamb, Anderson, Bain, Elphinstone and Marwick (GK).

Referee: Mr Mike Roncone, Monifieth.

Match ball sponsor: D.J. Laing Recycling Solutions Ltd.

Tomorrow’s Match.

Tomorrow (Saturday) the Gowfers are back on league business when they head to Creamery Park, to meet Bathgate Thistle in the ACA Sports East Super League. The match gets underway at 2.30 p.m. with the supporter’s bus departing the Stag’s Head Inn at 11 a.m.