Gowfers’ first win over Camelon

CARNOUSTIE Panmure were due to play Camelon Juniors away in the McBookie.com East Superleague on Saturday, but after their Carmuirs Park ground was declared unplayable on Saturday morning due to flooding, it was decided to switch the tie to Laing Park.

The Gowfers kicked off facing a strong wind and M. Scott made some progress up the right, but Kelly stepped in to clear the ball away downfield. In three minutes Bell played a long ball through to Wright who tried a shot, but Macpherson had no trouble saving.

Two minutes later the visitors won a corner after Kerr’s shot was blocked behind by Ferguson. Ure took the kick, but Macpherson rose to take the ball cleanly.

With only seven minutes played the Gowfers edged in front. Ferguson sent McIlravey away up the left and he took the ball almost to the byline then sent it into the goalmouth, where, as Camelon were trying to clear it, L. SCOTT nipped in to knock it home.

Wright and Robertson clashed heads as they went up for a high ball. Both were able to continue after some treatment to the Camelon player.

In 23 minutes the Gowfers had a lucky escape after Kerr took a pass from Batchelor and fired in a shot which beat Macpherson but M. Scott was on hand to clear it off the line.

The visitors were forced to make a change with Fullerton taking over from Wright who was feeling the effects of the earlier head clash.

Ten minutes before the break Ferguson played a good ball through to MacDonald who was chopped down by McGowan and the Camelon man became the first player to be shown the yellow card. Clark took the free kick and fired in a shot but the wind caught it and it went out for a goal kick.

The Gowfers again came close after MacDonald took a pass from M. Scott and tried a 30-yard shot which whizzed past Watson’s right-hand post.

Half time: Carnoustie Panmure 1, Camelon 0.

The visitors got the second half under way and attacked from the off, with Ure sending a cross deep into the Carnoustie goalmouth. Macpherson came out to take the ball cleanly, under pressure from Allison.

In 55 minutes Camelon attacked again and Allison tried to send Dick away, but a timely interception by Millar stopped him.

Dick became the second Camelon player to be shown yellow, this for comments made to the referee. Just a minute later, first Ure chopped down Millar, then Kerr brought down M. Scott and both joined their team mates in the referee’s book.

In 75 minutes there was a mild sensation when Batchelor brought down Cook and was shown a yellow card immediately followed by a red. The referee’s assistant alerted him to the fact that he had not booked Batchelor earlier and the red card was rescinded.

Three minutes later the Gowfers were awarded a penalty after McIlravey was fouled in the box. McIlravey took the kick himself, but Watson made a great save and it was another missed opportunity for the Gowfers.

Two minutes later they were made to pay when Kerr swung a cross into the goalmouth and FULLERTON stabbed it over the line.

Then, with seven minutes left, L. Scott was brought down by Kelly who became the sixth Camelon player to be booked.

A minute from time there was joy for the Gowfers when a long, wind-assisted clearance from Macpherson was collected by McILRAVEY. He rounded the full-back then deftly dinked the ball over the advancing Watson to put the Gowfers back in front.

From the restart the visitors surged upfield and were awarded a free kick when Roberts fouled Batchelor. As Kerr stepped up to take the kick, the Gowfer’s support wondered if there was to be another twist in the tale, but Macpherson made a great save to keep the lead intact. Moments later the referee brought the game to an end and the Gowfers had secured their first-ever win over the Lothians side.


Carnoustie Panmure: Macpherson, Cook, Ferguson, Millar, Robertson, Roberts, M. Scott, L. Scott, McIlravey, MacDonald, Clark. Substitutes not used: Narey, Dailly, Muirison, McCabe and Allardyce (GK) (T).

Camelon Juniors: Watson, Kelly, Ure, McGowan, Bell, Gillespie, Batchelor, Wright (Fullerton 26), Allison, Dick, Kerr. Substitutes not used: Graham, McCafferty and Hogarth (GK).

Referee: Mr Stephen Traynor, Dundee.

Tomorrow’s match

Tomorrow (Saturday), the Gowfers are back on the their travels as they make the trip to Newtown Park to meet Bo’ness United in the McBookie.com East Superleague. The Lothians side currently occupies fourth spot in the table and is sure to provide another hard game. Kick-off is scheduled for 2.30 p.m.


P W L D F A Pts

Linlithgow 18 17 0 1 53 12 52

Bonnyrigg 19 10 5 4 48 33 34

Camelon 17 10 6 1 40 30 31

Bo’ness 17 8 4 4 32 25 28

Broxburn 22 8 10 4 31 32 28

Kelty 15 7 4 4 26 16 25

Hill o’ Beath 19 7 8 4 36 33 25

Sauchie 22 6 10 6 28 32 24

Musselburgh 21 7 11 3 27 33 24

Carnoustie 17 6 10 1 25 42 19

Lochee 15 5 8 2 20 35 17

St Andrews 22 3 17 2 24 66 11