Gowfers go ahead against Fed with 27-second stunner

editorial image

ON SATURDAY Carnoustie Panmure travelled to Whitton Park to face Broughty Athletic in the ACA Sports East Premier League.

Gowfers’ manager Ian Gilzean fielded the same line-up as had won at Kinnoull in their last game two weeks ago.

Bench places went to Steven Narey, Kevin Cumming, Greg Beattie, new signing Mark Matthew and spare goalkeeper John McCafferty.

In the home line-up was former Gowfer Graham Allan, while Brian Craik and Iain McLeod, were substitutes.

Carnoustie kicked off up the slope with the stiff wind. The ball was knocked out of play by B. Brown. From Cook’s throw-in, Perera flicked the ball over his head and over ‘keeper Cormack to the back post where GATES stooped low to head home with only 27 seconds on the watch.

In seven minutes, the Gowfers came close to going further ahead after Gates won a corner. He took the kick himself and found Perera, whose initial shot was blocked back out to him. He sent the ball back, but to the side-netting.

Broughty attacked through Smith and Allan, whose shot was blocked by Hunter. The ball fell out to Smith, who shot wide from 25 yards.

Myles was shown the yellow card for a foul on Hendry.

With defences on top, shots at goal were few, but in 27 minutes, the Gowfers had a good penalty claim turned down. Clark went down inside the box under a challenge from Dailly, but the referee waved play on.

On the half-hour mark, Broughty were awarded a free kick after Burns was tripped by Clark, who received a severe telling-off from the referee. Winter took the kick, but Roberts got up well to head clear.

In 36 minutes, O’Leary was fouled by Hendry, who was yellow-carded for not retreating 10 yards quickly enough.

Winter played a long ball to Allan, who looked well offside but was allowed to run on and only a great saving tackle by Hendry prevented a goal.

Half-time: Broughty Athletic 0, Carnoustie Panmure 1.

Broughty kicked off second half but Carnoustie were first to show.

In 54 minutes, Perera won the ball off Bertie and fed Milne, whose shot was blocked by Cormack and it spun out behind for a corner. McIlravey kicked to Cook, who shot narrowly over.

Six minutes later, Perera was cautioned after the referee deemed his tackle on Bertie on the half-way line to be ‘reckless and dangerous’. B. Brown’s free kick picked out Myles, who sent his header well wide.

In 64 minutes, Broughty made a double substitution with Allan and Burns being replaced by Craik and Raffell.

The Fed were enjoying one of their best spells of the match and two minutes later a Myles long throw picked out Bertie, whose header flew straight into Jamieson’s hands.

Carnoustie made their first change in 70 minutes when Cumming was introduced for Perera.

The visitors continued to press and in 73 minutes Clark was brought down by Dailly for what seemed a penalty, but he was yellow-card for diving. Milne was booked for protesting.

However, two minutes later, Gates made his way into the home box where he was brought down by Stark and this time the referee did point to the spot. GATES took the kick himself and hammered the ball past Cormack to put Carnoustie two up.

Broughty lifted their game and almost pulled a goal back in 79 minutes after Tonner was adjudged to have fouled substitute Raffell 30 yards out. Winter sent in a rocket shot from the free kick, but Jamieson brought off a great save to keep his charge intact. Two minutes later, the Gowfers’ Beattie replaced McIlravey.

Gaps were appearing in the Broughty defence and Carnoustie almost notched a third when Clark fed Cumming, who drilled in a shot, saved by Cormack.

In 85 minutes, the Fed had a half-chance to pull one back. Craik laid the ball back to Raffell at the edge of the box, but he squandered the opportunity by blasting the ball well wide of Jamieson’s left-hand upright.

In 89 minutes, Cumming eased pressure on the Gowfers’ goal with a fine solo run into the home box where he was brought down by B. Brown for what looked another ‘stonewall’ penalty, but the referee waved aside claims.

Broughty Athletic: Cormack, Dailly, B. Brown, Winter, Smith, Myles, Stark, Burns (Raffell 64), Bertie, Allan (Craik 64), O’Leary. Substitutes, not used - Murdoch, McLeod, Farquharson and Etchels, D. Brown (gk).

Carnoustie Panmure: Jamieson, Hendry, Tonner, McIlravey (Beattie 81), Cook, Hunter, Clark, Roberts, Perera (Cumming 70), Milne, Gates. Substitutes, not used - Narey, Matthew and McCafferty (gk).

Referee: G. Thomson, Edinburgh.

Carnoustie are back at Laing Park tomorrow (Saturday) when they welcome St Andrews United in the ACA Sports East Premier League. Kick-off is at 2.30 p.m. Broughty visit Bonnyrigg for a second-round East of Scotland Cup tie, with a 2.30 p.m. start.

ACA Sports East Premier League

P W L D F A Pts

St Andrews Utd 13 9 2 2 26 16 29

Broxburn Ath 15 9 5 1 43 27 28

Carnoustie Pan 15 8 3 4 34 24 28

Glenrothes 11 8 2 1 36 19 25

Ballingry Rvrs 12 7 4 1 28 29 22

Broughty Ath 11 4 5 2 23 22 14

Arniston Rgrs 12 4 6 2 18 28 14

Kinnoull 16 4 10 2 21 40 14

Penicuik Ath 12 3 5 4 22 21 13

Whitburn 14 4 10 0 20 30 12

Armadale Th 10 2 4 4 17 17 10

Thornton Hibs 9 1 7 1 15 30 4