Gowfers have it all to do again!

editorial image

Maryhill Juniors 1, Carnoustie Panmure 1

Carnoustie Panmure headed for Lochburn Park on Saturday to meet Maryhill Juniors in the second round of the Scottish Junior Cup.

Manager Alan McSkimming put out the same starting 11 as had drawn with Kelty Hearts two weeks before and the bench spots were taken by Buggins, Dailly, M. Scott, Allardyce, and Ferrie.

The Angus men kicked off and straightaway Roberts fed a pass through to Milne, but he shot narrowly past. At the other end Wells got away down the left, but his shot was blocked by Robertson.

In five minutes Carnoustie took the lead when McIlravey passed to Milne whose shot was turned out for a corner on the left. Webster’s flag kick was headed strongly past Baker by MYLES from six yards.

Shortly after, McIlravey was downed in the box but despite loud appeals from the Carnoustie players, the referee played on.

Maryhill came close when O’Donnell crossed in for Murray, but he headed past from a good position and a couple of minutes later a long ball up the left from Wilson was missed by Cook and gave Wells a chance, but he shot wide.

In 28 minutes Ellis was replaced by Littler. Wells then won a corner off Cook and O’Donnell’s kick caused panic in the Gowfers’ defence until the loose ball was finally palmed off the line by Macpherson.

A Webster drive at the other end was turned past for a corner off Lundie, but this resulted in a free kick for Maryhill and some treatment for Banks who had taken a head knock.

A long ball was picked up by O’Donnell and he shot from the angle of the box but it went right across the goal and out on the far side. The Maryhill player was causing Carnoustie’s defence a lot of trouble and he fired in a corner which was headed just past by Banks.

Cook fouled Wells 35 yards out and he took the kick himself but Robertson managed to clear it up the park. The Gowfers were unlucky not to go further ahead through Webster who fired over a cross from the left, but, with ‘keeper Baker beaten, it came down off the bar and was cleared by Paton.

The visitors thought they had increased their lead just before half-time with a good move involving McIlravey, Milne and Webster. It was finished off with Webster firing a fierce drive high into the net, but, even with no protests from the Maryhill players, the referee disallowed the goal for obstruction on the ‘keeper.

Half-time: Maryhill Juniors 0, Carnoustie Panmure 1.

Maryhill made two changes at half-time with Furay and Paton being replaced by Delaney and Begg and they came out firing on all cylinders. The homesters forced a corner off Myles, but the kick was too easy for Macpherson. The equaliser didn’t take long in coming when, in 50 minutes, Wells crossed to the far post where Begg headed back into the six yard box and danger man O’DONNELL was there to drive the ball home.

That shook Carnoustie and Webster had a chance from 30 yards out, but shot well over the bar. Then Roberts fed a great ball through to Webster, but this time his effort rebounded back off the bar.

L. Scott was booked for encroaching on a Maryhill free kick and in 59 minutes Perera was replaced by Dailly. Webster made ground up the left, but his cross was just too high for Milne to get a head to and in 65 minutes the same player was booked for protesting too strongly to the referee.

O’Donnell was still causing bother for the Gowfers’ defence and Robertson had to be alert to head clear his well taken corner. In 71 minutes Murray was booked for a foul on L. Scott. O’Donnell then fired a great pass through to Begg, but he had strayed offside and in 75 minutes Milne was replaced by M. Scott.

L. Scott played a long ball through for McIilravey to chase, but ‘keeper Baker was out sharpish to beat him to it. A minute later, Dailly sent a great ball into Maryhill’s box, but L. Scott miskicked and the chance was gone.

In 80 minutes, L. Scott was replaced by Buggins. Maryhill were still proving to be dangerous and a drive by Murray was blocked for a corner by Robertson. O’Donnell’s flag kick was dealt with well by Cook.

A cross by McIlravey found Roberts on the edge of the box, but Lundie managed to block his shot and a long ball by Mason over the Carnoustie defence was chased by Begg, but Macpherson was out quickly to clear the danger.

A snap shot by Wells almost produced the winner but Macpherson was equal to his effort and dealt with it easily.


Maryhill: Baker, Wilson, Wells (Littler, 28), Lundie, Banks, Paton (Begg, 45), Furay (Delaney 45), Ellis, Murray, O’Donnell, Mason. Substitute not used: Bentley.

Carnoustie Panmure: Macpherson, Cook, Myles, Roberts, Robertson, L. Scott (Buggins, 80), Webster, Black, Perera (Dailly, 59), Milne (M. Scott, 75), McIlravey. Substitutes not used: Allardyce (gk) and Ferrie (gk).

Referee: Mr Ivan Stankovic, Ukraine.

Tomorrow’s match

After Saturday’s 1-1 stalemate in Glasgow, tomorrow (Saturday), the Gowfers have it all to do again when they welcome Maryhill Juniors to Laing Park for a replay.

While Saturday’s tie solved nothing, should the teams still be level after 90 minutes tomorrow, it will be straight to penalty kicks to decide the winner. This will be a 2 p.m. kick-off.