Gowfers lose out in friendly

WHEN Carnoustie Panmure’s scheduled league game at Hill o’ Beath was called of on Saturday morning due to a frozen pitch and Forfar West End’s home Scottish Cup tie against Cumbernauld suffered the same fate, West End’s manager, Daryl McKenzie and Ian Gilzean quickly arranged a friendly at Dundee Indoor Sports Centre.

For the game ‘Gillie’ found himself rather short-handed, with John Young, Graeme Ferguson and Marc Scott all missing for one reason or another. Only two bench seats were occupied, those going to John Roberts and ‘keeper, Chris Macpherson. In goal for the first half was Joe McGovern, making a welcome return after being injured whilst training with his parent club, Dundee United, back in September.

The Gowfers kicked off and took the lead with barely a minute on the watch, when NEAVE picked up the ball, took it forward on the right side of the box, and drilled it past Peters from a tight angle.

Three minutes later it was two when CLARK collected the ball wide on the right, then cut into the box, beating three players, before firing it into the net, giving Peters no chance.

At this stage it was nearly all Carnoustie and in 12 minutes they had a half-chance to increase their tally when L. Scott played a good ball through for Clark to chase, but Peters came rushing off his line to beat him to it. From the ‘keeper’s kick-out the ball went right downfield and was picked up by Garrick, who fired in a shot, but McGovern dropped to his knees and took it cleanly.

Play surged to the other end and Dailly drove into the box where he was brought down by Peters, who had rushed from his line. The referee immediately pointed to the spot, but didn’t show the ‘keeper a red card, probably with it being a friendly.

Dailly took the kick himself but wasted the chance to put the Gowfers three up when he sent the ball wide of Peters’ left-hand post.

West End began to come more into the game and in 20 minutes Hart had a shot deflected over the top by Cook, but when McBride took the resultant corner, it was cleared away by Robertson.

Just a minute later, West End were again on the attack and this time, when the ball was played through to HART, he controlled it well, then fired it past McGovern, giving the ‘keeper no chance.

Five minutes later, Cook lost the ball to Hart who cut inside then tried a shot which McGovern did well to parry away, but TINLEY ran in to knock it home and level the match. At this stage it was West End who were having the best of the play and with half-an-hour gone Taylor played the ball through to Irons, who tried a shot, but McGovern came out to make the save.

In 36 minutes Clark fed the ball through to Neave, who took it forward and probably should have scored, but Peters again came off his line and the chance was lost.

Five minutes before the break the Gowfers won a free kick on the edge of the box when Clark was fouled by Donaldson, but Peters had no trouble saving Neave’s kick.

In 44 minutes it was West End’s turn to win a free kick 22 yards out, when Robertson was adjudged to have fouled Tinley and HART fired the ball past McGovern to put his side in front. Right on the whistle the Gowfers came close to levelling, but Robert’s shot just grazed the outside of Peters’ right-hand post and out for a goal-kick.

Half-time: Carnoustie Panmure 2, Forfar West End 3.

It was the Gowfers who had the first real chance of the second half when, in 51 minutes, Dailly collected the ball on the edge of the box, and, spotting the ‘keeper off his line, tried to chip it over his head, but it drifted wide of the left-hand post and the chance was lost.

At this point much of the play was bogged down in midfield with few chances at either end. However, in 71 minutes, Perera had a half-chance when he tried a shot which went narrowly past Peters’ right-hand upright. Three minutes later McIlravey saw his drive from the edge of the box touched round the post by Peters for a corner which was taken by the Carnoustie player, but cleared well by Cairney.

In 82 minutes, West End increased their lead after Roberts lost the ball to Cox who fed it through to GARRICK and he made no mistake from 12 yards.

Two minutes later the Forfar lads went ‘nap’ when the ball was played through to HART who smashed it home for his second and his team’s fifth.


Carnoustie Panmure: McGovern, Narey, Cook, Millar, Robertson, L. Scott, Neave, Clark, Dailly, Perera, McIlravey. Substitutes: Roberts and Macpherson.

Forfar West End: Peters, Mullen, Donaldson, Garrick, Cairney, M. Black, McBride, Taylor, Hart, Tinley, Irons. Substitutes: Grant, Kelly, Cox, Scott, Ramsay and R. Black.

Referee: Mr Marc Ritchie, Arbroath.

Tomorrow’s match

Tomorrow (Saturday) after having had last week’s game fall foul of the weather, the Gowfers are hoping to get back in action when they welcome Lochee United to Laing Park for a tie in the McBookie.com East Superleague.

With the Dundee side having a good win in the ‘Scottish’ a couple of weeks ago and another in the league last week, they are riding high at the moment, and this is sure to be another tough game for the Gowfers. Kick-off will be at 1.45 p.m.