Gowfers lose unbeaten home record to Hill of Beath

editorial image

CARNOUSTIE Panmure were back looking for league points on Saturday when they played host to Hill of Beath Hawthorn in the ACA Sports East Super League.

In Ian Gilzean’s absence, Graeme Christie and Ian Fleming were in charge, making one change from the side that knocked Arbroath Vics out of the G.A. Engineering Cup the previous week. Captain, Robert Hendry was on from the start, with Mark Matthew dropping to the bench, where he was joined by, John Roberts, Kevin Milne, and trialist Shaun McLaren.

The Haws kicked off, and had an early chance after Allum was fouled by Cumming on the touchline. Allum took the free-kick and swung the ball into the box to Smith, but his shot went high over the bar. The Gowfers were awarded a free-kick two minutes later, when Cumming was brought down by Seeley, but the ball through from Clark, was cleared upfield.

Clark then had a shot at goal, but it went wide of Hall’s right-hand post. In the 12 minutes the visitors had a half-chance, when a good ball from Allum, found Smart on the edge of the six-yard box. His overhead kick whizzed across the face of the Carnoustie goal but there were no team mates to take advantage. The visitors won a corner when Smith’s shot was deflected behind by Tonner. Smart took the kick short to Gemmell, who crossed into the goalmouth, but McCafferty got up well to claim it.

In 17 minutes Hawthorn were awarded another free-kick, when Tonner fouled Smart, but the shot from Haddow hit the defensive wall and went out to safety.

Play surged to the other end and a great ball through from Gates, found PERERA, who drilled his shot past Hall to put the Gowfers ahead.

Haws had a penalty claim turned down, in the 21st minute when Smith was pulled down by Hendry just inside the box but the referee saw nothing wrong and waved play on.

Bathgate made a good run up the left and sent in a deep cross but Millar got up well to head clear. On the half-hour mark the visitors had a chance to draw level. A poor clearance went straight to Gemmell who crossed into the box where the danger was headed clear by Millar. His clearance fell at the feet of Smith, who fired in a shot, but McCafferty saved well.

However, two minutes later the Haws finally got on the scoresheet. Bathgate made a great run up the left and sent in a cross to SMITH, who rose unchallenged to power a header past McCafferty.

The visitors again came close when Allum fired in a shot from a very tight angle but McCafferty pulled off a great save, touching the ball past the left-hand upright. It was then Carnoustie’s turn to be denied a penalty when Narey made a great run through the middle, exchanging passes with Clark, before being pulled down in the box. Again the referee waved play on. Just on half-time, Haddow sent in a good cross to Smith, but McCafferty got up well to save his looping header.

Half-time: Carnoustie Panmure 1, Hill of Beath Hawthorn 1.

The Gowfers got the second half underway and McCulloch knocked the ball out for a Carnoustie throw. Narey took the throw to Cumming and from his through pass, Clark, who spotted Hall off his line, tried to chip the ball over his head, but it went over the bar.

When the visitors’ Hepburn, was fouled by Tonner, Gemmell’s free kick found Smith who drilled in a low drive but McCafferty again, got down well to save. In 49 minutes Carnoustie made a change with Narey being replaced by Roberts.

A minute later Bathgate sent a good ball through to Smith, but his fierce shot rebounded off Cumming and was cleared. The visitors then won a corner off Hendry which Smart took, playing the ball into the goalmouth, where Millar headed out for a second corner. This time McCafferty rose and took the ball cleanly. In 56 minutes The Gowfers made a second change with Milne taking over from Perera.

The visitors then were awarded a free-kick just outside the box but Bathgate blasted the ball off the wall and it was cleared by Clark. Hawthorn were putting the Gowfers under a lot of pressure and it paid off. Bathgate played the ball through to WRIGHT who stroked the ball home to put the visitors ahead.

Bathgate then saw a first-time shot go wide of McCafferty’s right-hand post. From the ‘keeper’s kick, Gates won a corner off Seeley and when Clark sent the ball into the Hawthorn goalmouth it was prodded past the post by Milne.

In 67 minutes, Wright fell awkwardly and limped off, being replaced by Adamson. The Haws went further ahead when Bathgate was challenged by Tonner in the box and went down.The referee immediately pointed to the spot and ADAMSON hammered the ball past McCafferty.

Three minutes later Robertson became the first player to be shown a yellow card for a trip on Allum. The visitors made a second change, with Smith being replaced by Donnelly.

Bathgate then had a shot knocked behind by Tonner and, from the corner, Allum’s shot went wide. Hawthorn nearly went further ahead when Bathgate played the ball into Donnelly in front of goal, but he sent it wide.

Adamson then picked up a loose ball and tore through the Gowfers defence, before Hendry put in a great tackle and cleared. Right on the whistle both Cumming and Tonner were shown yellow for dissent.


Carnoustie Panmure: McCafferty, Narey (Roberts 49), Cook, Millar, Tonner, Hendry, Cumming Robertson, Perera (Milne 56), Clark, Gates. Substitutes not used: Matthew and McLaren (T).

Hill of Beath Hawthorn: Hall, Haddow, Seeley, McCulloch, Hepburn, Smart, Wright (Adamson 69), Gemmell, Smith (Donnelly 74), Bathgate, Allum. Substitutes not used: Ford, gk.

Referee: Mr W. Ferguson, Forfar.

Match-ball sponsor: Mr. Willie Ramsay, Carnoustie.

Tomorrow’s match.

Tomorrow (Saturday) the Gowfers travel to North End Park to meet Lochee United in the final of the D.J. Laing, North League Cup. With the sides having been in different leagues, they haven’t met since the Gowfers ran out narrow 2-0 winners at Laing Park, back on May 5, 2008, in a Challenge Cup, quarter-final tie.

Kick-off tomorrow is at 2.30 p.m. with the game going to penalties if the scores are level after 90 minutes.

The Gowfers’ Supporters’ Club bus to North End Park leaves from the Stag’s Head at 1.30 p.m.

Results: ACA Sports East Super League: Carnoustie Panmure 1, Hill o’Beath 3; Lochee United 1, Camelon 2; Musselburgh Athletic 1, Bonnyrigg Rose 4; St. Andrews United 4, Bathgate Thistle 2; Kelty Hearts v Forfar West End, postponed.

ACA Sports East Super League

P W L D F A Pts

Hill of Beath 6 3 1 2 16 9 11

Bonnyrigg Rose 4 3 0 1 12 4 10

Musselburgh Ath 6 2 2 2 17 15 8

Bo’ness United 3 2 0 1 11 1 7

Linlithgow Rose 4 2 1 1 11 8 7

Camelon 5 2 2 1 9 10 7

St Andrews Utd 6 2 3 1 13 16 7

Lochee United 5 2 3 0 13 10 6

Kelty Hearts 4 2 2 0 7 7 6

Bathgate Thistle 6 1 2 3 10 12 6

Carn Panmure 5 1 2 2 6 9 5

Forfar WE 4 0 4 0 1 25 0