Gowfers make it two wins out of three

Carnoustie Panmure 3

Carnoustie YM 1

ON SATURDAY, Carnoustie Panmure completed their pre-season programme of friendlies when they welcomed local amateurs Carnoustie YM to Laing Park.

For the tie, manager Ian Gilzean made several changes to the side that had defeated the Stirling based amateurs, AFC Milton, the previous week. With Stuart Ferguson, Danny Millar, Liam Scott and Brian Clark all available and on from the start, Andy Cowan, Steven Narey, Mike McIlravey and Josh Perera all dropped to the bench, where they were joined by Scott Robertson and a trialist ‘keeper.

The Gowfers kicked off playing towards the town end and facing a stiffish easterly wind. The ball was played back to Cook who sent a long ball forward to Neave, but Craig rushed from his line and conceded an early free-kick when he picked the ball up outside the box.

Clark stepped forward and swung the ball into the YM goalmouth but it was easily dealt with by the defence and cleared away. Two minutes later the Gowfers won another free-kick when their newest recruit, M. Scott was brought down. Again Clark took the kick and again the YM defence stood firm and cleared the danger.

After five minutes the visitors launched an attack with A. Beattie playing a long ball through to Fotheringham, but he sent his shot high over the bar. Three minutes later, at the other end, Young picked out Neave with a deep cross, but he headed well wide.

The Gowfers kept pushing forward and L. Scott fed the ball through to Neave, but once more the YM defence managed to clear the danger. The amateurs won a corner in 16 minutes after Roberts played the ball behind. From the flag kick MacPherson got up but didn’t take the ball cleanly and Fotheringham got a header in, but it went wide.

It was then the Gowfer’s turn to go close when Neave took a pass from Clark and fired in a shot, only to see it go narrowly past Craig’s left-hand post. A minute later they did get the opener when M. Scott took the ball down the right and then picked out TRIALIST, who headed home.

From the kick-off Trialist picked up a loose ball and played it through to Neave, but before he could get off a shot it was knocked behind for a corner. Clark took the flag kick and found D. Millar, but his header was wide.

In 24 minutes, a long ball out of the YM defence was picked up by Fotheringham who looked yards offside but was allowed to run on. MacPherson came rushing out of the box and the pair clashed, but although both received several minutes of treatment, they were able to continue and a free-kick was awarded to the visitors, some 20 yards out. A. Beattie took the kick but it hit the defensive wall and went out for a fruitless corner.

With half an hour gone the Gowfers made their first change when MacPherson, who was still feeling the effects of the clash with Fotheringham, was replaced by Newman.

In 33 minutes the Gowfers came close to doubling their lead, when M. Scott linked with Clark who fired off a shot, only to see it cleared off the line, with the ‘keeper beaten.

With the whistle about to sound, the Gowfers were dealt a further blow when Trialist had to be helped from the pitch with what looked like a hamstring injury.

Half-time: Carnoustie Panmure 1, Carnoustie YM 0.

Before the second half got underway, the Gowfers made further changes, with S. Robertson and McIlravey replacing Trialist and Roberts. From the kick-off Fotheringham fired the ball deep into the Gowfers’ box trying to catch the young trialist ‘keeper unawares, but he came out to take it safely. The Gowfers doubled their lead in 50 minutes when Clark picked out McILRAVEY with a great cross and he rose to head the ball past Craig, giving the ‘keeper no chance.

Eight minutes later the same player made a great run up the left then played the ball into the YM box, but Neave couldn’t quite reach it and the chance was lost. The Gowfers made another change on the hour mark with Narey replacing Ferguson and two minute later L. Scott went off to make way for Cowan.

In 67 minutes M. Scott made a great run up the left then played the ball through to McIlravey, but it bobbled and hit his heel and the chance was lost. M. Scott then beat two men and sent in a deep cross but ‘keeper Craig rose to take it cleanly.

In 75 minutes McIlravey was chopped down and Clark sent in a good free-kick, but the wind caught the ball and it curled wide of the left-hand post. Two minutes later the Gowfers came very close to adding to their tally after McIlravey cut inside J. Beattie then rifled off a shot only to see it come back off the post with the ‘keeper nowhere.

Play surged downfield and some slackness in the Gowfer’s defence allowed A. BEATTIE to run into the box and drill the ball past Newman to reduce the Gowfers’ lead.

The visitors’ joy was rather short-lived, as just four minutes later M. SCOTT made his way up the right then sent in a deep cross into the YM goal-mouth and the ball, perhaps affected by the wind, sailed over the ‘keeper’s head into the net.

Right on the whistle the Gowfers came close to notching their fourth when a throw-in from Cook came through to Clark just inside the box, and he swivelled and fired in a shot which shaved the top of the bar.


Carnoustie Panmure: MacPherson, Cook, Ferguson, D. Millar, Young, Roberts, M. Scott, L. Scott, Trialist, Clark, Neave. Substitutes: Cowan, Narey, McIlravey, S. Robertson, Perera and Newman (trialist gk).

Carnoustie YM team pool: Craig (gk), I. Robertson, Mair, Telford, Jarret, Reid, Ramsay, C. Millar, Ferrie, Watt, Fotheringham, J. Beattie, Thain, Campbell, Conway, A. Beattie, Jamieson, Burns.

Referee: Mr Scott Leslie, Brechin.


Tomorrow (Saturday) the Gowfers continue their D.J. Laing Cup campaign with a trip to Strathmore Park to meet Forfar West End, back after almost a season in abeyance, in their second tie. The game kicks off at the usual time of 2.30 p.m.

Following this, they travel to Westview Park on Wednesday evening to meet Kirrie Thistle in their third game. Kick-off in this one will be 7 p.m.