Gowfers progress in G.A. Cup

editorial image

Carnoustie Panmure 3,

New Elgin 1

CARNOUSTIE Panmure played host on Saturday to North Region side, New Elgin, in the second round of the North/Tayside Inter-region cup, sponsored by G.A. Engineering.

Carnoustie kicked off and forced an early corner, but Clark’s kick was cleared away by M. Sim. Roberts then went down the right, but his cross was easily held by Payne. They kept up the pressure and McIlravey fed the ball to Young, but his cross was just taken off Neave’s head by ‘keeper Payne.

At the other end the Gowfers got a scare when D. Wilson picked up the ball at halfway and outpaced the defence, but fortunately his shot from inside the box was wide.

In 15 minutes Carnoustie took the lead when Forde fouled Clark 30 yards out. CLARK took the kick himself and hammered the ball over the wall and into the top corner.

The homesters received another scare when a McGettrick cross into the box was missed by Macpherson and Forde’s shot was cleared off the line by Young.

At the other end a Neave high ball into Elgin’s box produced a corner, but McIlravey’s kick was cleared by Munro. Carnoustie kept up the pressure and Millar fired a great crossfield pass to McIlravey, but his cross was blasted over by Neave.

Young raced up the right and his cross was headed by Neave, but the ‘keeper was equal to the task and held his effort. They then had a chance to double their lead when Young burst through into Elgin’s box, but he over-ran the ball and the ‘keeper was able to come out and clear.

The second goal came just on half time when Young fed the ball to McIlravey and his low cross was fired home by DAILLY from close range.

Half time: Carnoustie Panmure 2, New Elgin 0.

Elgin put the pressure on at the resumption and forced a corner which was taken by D. Wilson, but it was headed well clear by Robertson.

It was continual pressure from Elgin and a foul by Millar on A. Wilson at the corner of the box that gave D. Wilson an opportunity for a pop at goal, but Macpherson returned the ball up the park with a good strong punch.

At the other end Roberts tried a long range shot, but it went past Payne’s left-hand post then a 20 yard drive by L. Scott almost caught Payne out and he was lucky to hold it at the second attempt.

In 63 minutes Davidson was replaced by McKenzie. McIlravey then made a good run, cutting in from the right, but his shot went into the side net. Irons was booked in 67 minutes for a foul on McIlravey and three minutes later Neave was replaced by M. Scott. A minute later McIlravey sent M. Scott up the line and his low ball into the box was knocked past Payne by CLARK from close range. In 72 minutes McGettrick was replaced by Burgess. Four minutes later Carnoustie were caught out when D. Wilson crossed in from the left and FORDE headed past Macpherson at the front post.

The Gowfers now go on to meet Jeanfield Swifts in the quarter-finals at their Riverside Stadium, Perth, on Wedneday April 24, with a 6.45 p.m. start.


Carnoustie Panmure: Macpherson, Young, Cook, Robertson, Millar, Roberts, McIlravey, L. Scott, Dailly, Neave (M. Scott 70), Clark. Substitutes not used: Narey, Perera.

New Elgin: Payne, Munro, Irons, S. Sim, M. Sim, A. Wilson, Campbell (Shanks 86), Davidson (McKenzie 63), D. Wilson, Forde, McGettrick (Burgess 72). Substitutes not used: Connolly.

Tomorrow’s match

Tomorrow, Saturday, the Gowfers are back in the hunt for league points and are back on the road, when they travel to Albyn Park to meet Broxburn Athletic in the McBookie.com East Superleague. Kick-off will be at the now usual time of 2.30 p.m.