Gowfers spot on to advance in East of Scotland Cup

editorial image

Glenrothes Juniors 1, Carnoustie Panmure 1

(Carnoustie won 5-4 on penalties)

On Saturday, Carnoustie Panmure took a brief break from league business and travelled to the Warout Stadium, to meet Glenrothes Juniors in the second round of the, D.J. Laing sponsored, East of Scotland Cup.

For the tie, manager Alan McSkimming was without suspended Kev Cumming and Marc Scott, both dismissed in the previous week’s game against Kelty Hearts, and of course the long-term injured, Liam Scott.

In the starting line-up, Chris Macpherson took over between the sticks from Neal Ferrie, John Roberts replaced Mike McIlravey, who had suffered a nose injury in the Kelty game and, in the absence of Cumming and Scott, both Greg Birmingham and Sammy Simpson were on from the start.

The Gowfers kicked off and had an early chance after just two minutes when Simpson was fouled by Pearson, some 25 yards out and Birmingham took the kick, but it was well held by Gay in the Glen’s goal.

They then came very close to scoring in six minutes when Robertson played a good ball through to Webster, who carried it forward, but Gay came rushing out to narrow the angle and forced him wide. He got his shot off and beat the ‘keeper, only to see Pearson get back and clear off the line.

Just four minutes later, after Carnoustie having the chances to open their account, it was the home side who did just that, after Meikle made a great run up the right then sent in a cross to SOWERS who smashed it past Macpherson, from six yards, giving the ‘keeper no chance.

In 15 minutes the Glens came close to doubling their lead after Martin ran on to a through ball from Gray and fired in a shot, but Macpherson got down to make a good save. Three minutes later the Gowfers won another free kick when Roberts was fouled, just outside the box, by Bissett, but Black’s kick was sent narrowly over the top.

In 22 minutes the Glens had another half-chance to go further ahead after Martin took a pass from Meikle and drilled in a low shot, but Macpherson got down well to turn it round the right-hand post and then was on hand to claim the corner kick as it came in.

On the half hour mark the Glens passed up another great chance to double their lead after Meikle played the ball across the face of the Gowfers’ goal to Gray, but he shot wide when it looked easier to score. A minute later, Sowers became the first player to see a yellow card, this for remarks made to the referee.

In 38 minutes, McGeehan played a good ball into Birmingham who flicked it past Gay, but also sent it wide of the keeper’s left-hand upright. Play swept to the other end and Gray fired in a low shot, but Millar put in a great block and the ball was cleared away to safety by Buggins.

In 44 minutes the Gowfers at last drew level after Webster played a great cross in to BIRMINGHAM, who chested it down then drove it past Gay from 12 yards.

Half-time: Glenrothes Juniors 1, Carnoustie Panmure 1.

Two minutes after the restart, the Gowfers won a corner out on the left, when Webster’s shot was turned behind by Bissett, but although Simpson’s kick found Cook, his shot was blocked away to safety by Moffatt.

In 55 minutes, the homesters made their first change, with McBride taking over from Bissett. Three minutes later Buggins took a knock from Griffin and limped off to be replaced by Kenneth.

In 63 minutes the Gowfers had a scare when Martin picked up the ball, while looking yards offside, but the referee, working without assistants, allowed him to carry on and Macpherson , who rushed out to force him wide, was glad to see his shot come back off post and cleared.

Moments later the Gowfers had another let-off, after Gray’s rather scrambled shot was cleared off the line by Kenneth. In 70 minutes the Gowfers made a second change with McIlravey replacing Simpson and three minutes later completed their options when Roberts came off to make way for Smith.

In 78 minutes the Glens were awarded a free-kick on the edge of the box, when Millar was adjudged to have fouled Meikle, but Pearson’s kick was well held by Macpherson.

Four minutes later it was the Gowfers’ turn to be awarded a free kick, this for Griffin’s foul on Black, with the Glens’ man being booked for his trouble. Black took the kick himself and sent the ball to the back post to Robertson, who rose to head into the net, but the referee ruled that he was offside.

The Gowfers were pressing hard and won another free kick, on the edge of the box, when Smith was brought down by Moffatt. Kenneth took the kick, but sent it high over the top.

Right on the whistle the Gowfers won a corner, which was taken by McIlravey, but cleared off the line, by Pearson for another corner, which was again taken by McIlravey, but this time Gay rose to take it safely. Moments later the referee brought the tie to a close and it was on to penalties.

Glenrothes won the toss and elected to go first and MARTIN put them in front. BIRMINGHAM drew the Gowfers level and MEIKLE, MCBRIDE and HENDERSON all made no mistake for the home side with ROBERTSON, BLACK and KENNETH doing the business for Carnoustie. Griffin took the homesters’ fifth kick and when Macpherson made a great save it opened the door for WEBSTER to step up and send the Gowfers through to the next round.

Teams: Glenrothes Juniors – Gay, Bissett, Sowers, Pearson, Moffatt, Griffin, Kinness, Napier, Martin, Meikle, Gray. Substitutes – Anderson, Forbes, Steele, Walker and McBride.

Carnoustie Panmure – Macpherson, Cook, Buggins, Millar, Robertson, McGeehan, Webster, Black, Roberts, Birmingham, Simpson. Substitutes – Kenneth, McIlravey, Bews, Smith and Ferrie (GK).

Tomorrow’s Match

Tomorrow (Saturday), after last week’s successful foray into Fife on East of Scotland Cup business, the Gowfers are back on the hunt for League points when they welcome Bonnyrigg Rose to Laing Park for a match in the McBookie.com, East Superleague.

Rose, who currently lie in seventh spot in the table, have had, by their standards, a slightly indifferent season, with seven wins, two draws and seven defeats in their 16 games played.

Although they suffered a narrow 2-1 defeat at home to Ayrshire aces, Auchinleck Talbot, in last week’s Scottish Cup, fifth round replay, they will still be extremely dangerous opponents and in fact ran out 4-1 winners when the sides met earlier in the season, down at Dundas Park, on September 20. Tomorrow’s match gets under way at the slightly later time of 2.30 p.m.

McBookie.com East


Results – Fauldhouse United 2, Broxburn Athletic 2; Armadale Thistle 2, Penicuik Athletic 3; Kelty Hearts 1, Linlithgow Rose 0.

P W D L F A Pts

Kelty 19 14 4 1 48 15 46

Bo’ness United 16 10 3 3 35 14 33

Newtongrange 14 10 3 1 30 12 33

Linlithgow 15 10 2 3 41 18 32

Penicuik 18 8 6 4 30 24 30

Musselburgh 14 7 2 5 25 23 23

Bonnyrigg 16 7 2 7 33 33 23

Broxburn 16 3 10 3 23 22 19

Sauchie 16 5 4 7 18 33 19

Hill of Beath 16 5 3 8 24 28 18

Camelon 18 4 4 10 20 35 16

Fauldhouse 17 3 6 8 26 32 15

Armadale 15 2 3 10 20 35 9

Carnoustie 15 2 3 10 13 34 9

Lochee 15 2 1 12 23 51 7

Ballingry 0 0 0 0 0 0 0