Gowfers throw away precious points against Whitburn

ON SATURDAY Carnoustie Panmure were back in the Lothians, this time to face Whitburn at Central Park in the ACA Sports East Premier League.

Manager Ian Gilzean was forced into changes to the side that beat Arniston Rangers.

John McCafferty, Scott Hunter and Steven Narey were replaced by Craig Jamieson, John Roberts and recent signing Mark Matthew. Bench spots went to Josh Perera, Greg Beattie, Scott Gates, Greg Anderson and assistant manager Graeme Christie.

Carnoustie kicked off, playing down the slight slope on a firm, but bumpy surface and with a stiffish westerly wind at their backs.

In three minutes, Robertson chased a long through pass into the Whitburn box, but Mooney nipped in ahead of him to nod the ball back to his ‘keeper.

A few minutes later Rarity was fortunate to escape with only a yellow card after a rash tackle on Cumming. Cook sent the resultant free kick deep into the Burnie box, but McGurk got up well to head clear.

Carnoustie again came close to opening the scoring when McGurk was slack with a passback to his ‘keeper. West rushed from his line and attempted to kick clear, but the ball rebounded off the inrushing Milne and flew just wide.

However, on 29 minutes the Gowfers got their noses in front. Good play by Clark and Milne set up McILRAVEY, who blasted high into the roof of the net from close-range.

Carnoustie went in search of further goals and in 34 minutes Cook was chopped down by Dickov. McIlravey’s free kick from out on the left found Robertson, who appeared to be nudged by Mahon, but the referee saw nothing wrong and waved play on.

In 40 minutes, an acrobatic overhead kick from Robertson released Cumming, whose shot was pushed behind by West for a corner.

Half-time: Whitburn 0, Carnoustie Panmure 1.

Carnoustie dominated the first half, but Whitburn had wind advantage and began pushing forward.

On the hour mark, the Gowfers attempted to get an attack going when Clark linked with Cook, but before the latter could make any progress he was brought down by Wright. McIlravey’s free kick to the back post picked out Cumming, who headed just wide.

In 68 minutes, Dickov went down injured and required attention from the home trainer. He resumed after treatment, but two minutes later had to go off and was replaced by McCole.

Whitburn came close to drawing level when Millar was sent clear by Wright and after rounding Jamieson, who had come out to narrow the angle, he took the ball to the bye-line, but his cross landed on the roof of the net, much to the Gowfers’ relief.

Carnoustie made a change in 75 minutes with Gates replacing Matthew. He was only on the park a minute when he was fouled by Wright 20 yards out. McIlravey’s free kick was powerfully struck, but West made the stop.

Whitburn had been on top for most of the second period and scored a deserved equaliser in 78 minutes. Millar’s shot rebounded from Jamieson’s right-hand post, but MACKAY followed up and knocked the loose ball into the net.

From the centre, Carnoustie pushed upfield and won a corner when Cook played a good pass to Clark, who tried a snap shot from just outside the box, but West got across to touch the ball round the post.

In 81 minutes, the Gowfers replaced Clark with Perera. Three minutes later, McCole was booked for dissent. In 87 minutes Milne and Cumming were yellow-carded for comments.

Carnoustie almost snatched victory when a Gates shot was blocked out to Cumming, who fired back in. West made a great save at the expense of a corner. As McIlravey’s flag kick was cleared, the referee blew for full-time and the Gowfers were reflecting on two points lost rather than one gained.

Whitburn: West, Wright, Mooney, Rarity, McGurk, Martindale, Dickov (McCole 70), Mackay, Murphy, Millar, Mahon. Substitutes, not used - Woodhouse, Hampson, Reid and Carlin (gk).

Carnoustie Panmure: Jamieson, Hendry, Tonner, McIlravey, Matthew (Gates 75), Roberts, Clark (Perera 81), Cook, Cumming, Milne, Robertson. Substitutes, not used - Beattie, Anderson and Christie.

Referee: R. Gordon, Livingston.

Tomorrow (Saturday), Carnoustie entertain Ballingry Rovers in the ACA Sports East Premier League. The Laing Park kick-off time is 2.30 p.m.

ACA Sports East Premier League

P W L D F A Pts

St Andrews United 18 13 2 3 41 21 42

Broxburn Athletic 18 11 5 2 52 29 35

Carnoustie P’mure 19 9 4 6 41 30 33

Ballingry Rovers 17 9 6 2 34 37 29

Glenrothes 15 9 5 1 41 25 28

Armadale Thistle 16 5 5 6 26 25 21

Penicuik Athletic 16 5 6 5 29 28 20

Arniston Rangers 17 6 9 2 23 36 20

Kinnoull 21 6 13 2 29 46 20

Broughty Athletic 14 5 6 3 29 32 18

Whitburn 18 4 12 2 25 38 14

Thornton Hibs 15 1 10 4 24 47 7