Gowfers to the ‘four’ in friendly

Carnoustie Panmure 4, Dundee United

Under-19s 0

CARNOUSTIE Panmure played host to a Dundee United under-19 team in a friendly match on Saturday.

Manager Ian Gilzean made a couple of changes to the side that lost to Kirrie Thistle in mid-week in the D.J. Laing League Cup. Mike McIlravey and John Roberts were both on from the start with Brian Clark and Harry Neave dropping to the bench where they were joined by Josh Perera and Andy Cowan.

Carnoustie made a bright start with Dailly crossing to the edge of the box to Roberts, but he shot past the post. At the other end a deep cross from the left by McLellan was punched clear by MacPherson under pressure from Allan.

A home corner by McIlravey was met by Ferguson, but his header lacked power and was easily cleared. The Gowfers came close when a Dailly cross was fired in by McIlravey, but McGovern turned his shot past for a corner. McIlravey’s kick was cleared up the park and picked up by Moore, who tried a long-range effort, but it was well over the bar.

Another United attack had Lundie racing down the right and he laid the ball across the box for R. Ferguson, but once again the shot was off target. The homesters came close when a Dailly shot just whizzed past McGovern’s right-hand post. United also had a chance when a Fraser cross was headed strongly by Moore, but it was straight at MacPherson.

McIlravey then made a good run along the by-line and laid the ball back to M. Scott, but he ballooned the ball over from eight yards.

In 36 minutes the deadlock was broken when L. Scott crossed from the right and McILRAVEY’S shot was deflected past the ‘keeper by Smith for an own goal.

A McLellan corner for United was headed clear by Cook and picked up by Dailly who played a good one-two with McIlravey to force a fruitless corner. At the other end, Smith tried a shot from the edge of the box, but the United man was off target. Carnoustie went straight up the park and McIlravey fired in a cross, but it was just too strong for M. Scott and ran through to the ‘keeper.

Half-time: Carnoustie Panmure 1, Dundee United under-19s 0.

At the start of the second half, United made a change with Bell being replaced by Souttar and straight away the visitors went on the attack. A 30-yard drive by Moore was turned over by MacPherson for a corner, but Allan’s kick was cleared to safety by Millar.

In 53 minutes, Carnoustie made a change with Millar going off to be replaced by Clark. the homesters got a free-kick just outside the box, but the defensive wall did its job, blocking the shot by Clark.

R. Ferguson tried his luck from 25 yards for United, but it went past MacPherson’s right-hand post. In 57 minutes McIlravey was replaced by Perera for Carnoustie’s second change. It was almost an inspired substitution as L. Scott fed a fine ball through to Perera and his chip from the corner of the box had the ‘keeper beaten, but unfortunately for him was just slightly wide of the mark.

A second goal was only postponed a couple of minutes and a Clark ball through to L. SCOTT beat the defensive line and he tucked the ball past the ‘keeper from the edge of the box.

In 65 minutes, Dailly was replaced by Neave. Three minutes later Carnoustie made the game safe when a long free kick by Young was flicked on and lofted over the ‘keeper by PERERA. United then replaced Fraser with Newman.

In 70 minutes L. Scott was replaced by Cowan. Allan and M. Scott both required treatment after a clash in midfield and although Allan was able to carry on, the home player went off to be replaced by Dailly again.

Four minutes from the end, Young once again sent a long ball through and this time it was controlled by COWAN on the edge of the box, and he slotted it past the ‘keeper. Allan then fired a dangerous ball across the Carnoustie box, but no United player was able to get a touch on it.

The Gowfers almost made it five when Cowan played a through ball for Perera to chase, but the ‘keeper won the race and cleared up the park as the final whistle went.


Carnoustie Panmure: MacPherson, Cook, Ferguson, Millar, Young, Robertson, M. Scott, L. Scott, Dailly, Roberts, McIlravey. Substitutes: Clark, Perera, Neave and Cowan.

Dundee United under-19s: McGovern, Lundie, Bell, Smith, Lunday, Johnson, R. Ferguson, Fraser, Allan, Moore, McLellan Substitutes: Souttar, Trialist, Newman, Casey and Kennedy.

Referee: Mr Scott McBurney, Broughty Ferry.

Tomorrow’s match

Tomorrow (Saturday) the Gowfers play their fourth and final match in the D.J. Laing North league Cup, when they host Coupar Angus. This will be the Perthshire Club’s first ever visit to Laing Park as their last visit to Carnoustie was in 2003 when the came to Westfield Park for a Findlay & Co. Cup semi-final tie.

The game kicks off at 2.30 p.m.